Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felix Hernandez Called Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:39 pm

wrveres wrote:I ve got the over/under on

"when will Felix be added to Yahoo?" threads at ... hmmm ... 6!

any takers?

i will take the over.... and i think ATs post here counts as 1.... :-D :-D
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:42 pm

What. I was posting it while people were posting there comment about it. It's not like I'm member #49 to ask why he isn't added. I looked. He wasn't there. I posted. And I have egg on my face. What else is new.

:-D

Matt Reilly is my best friend's brother's name.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:29 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Figures. Yahoo hasn't got him yet. Morons.

How many times has this happened with Yahoo this year?!? 15? 20? Morons. :-P

It's idiocies like this that are the reason I absolutely refuse to let my fantasy football league commissioner move us from ESPN to Yahoo. It's one thing to provide a cheap service, but the host service shouldn't be a factor in deciding which teams actually win or lose, and too often this year Yahoo has been a factor in the standings by being so slow off the ball adding impact (or potential impact) players. :-C :-t
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:39 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:

It's idiocies like this that are the reason I absolutely refuse to let my fantasy football league commissioner move us from ESPN to Yahoo. It's one thing to provide a cheap service, but the host service shouldn't be a factor in deciding which teams actually win or lose, and too often this year Yahoo has been a factor in the standings by being so slow off the ball adding impact (or potential impact) players. :-C :-t

Are you seriously getting worked up about this? The call-up doesn't even seem to be official yet. It's not even on the Mariners official website, ESPN, Rotoworld. I think Yahoo has been great this year, the stats are always updated very early in the morning and new players are usually added about 2-5 days after their debut. No biggie. The last 2 players added today were Dustin McGowan and Yuniesky Betancourt. McGowan made his debut YESTERDAY and Betancourt made his debut 3 days ago. Yahoo has been pretty reliable in my opinion this year.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:42 pm

they added Conor Jackson today and he was called up 4 days ago, but then again, he didn't play until yesterday. .

I remember last season when the Royals announced when Greinke was going to make his debut, they added him the next day. Only one start was missed. I'd like to know what Yahoo's criteria is for when they add guys :-?
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:44 pm

bigken117 wrote:they added Conor Jackson today and he was called up 4 days ago, but then again, he didn't play until yesterday. .

I remember last season when the Royals announced when Greinke was going to make his debut, they added him the next day. Only one start was missed. I'd like to know what Yahoo's criteria is for when they add guys :-?

It seems to be that they have to appeared in at least one MLB game
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:47 pm

Rirruto wrote:
bigken117 wrote:they added Conor Jackson today and he was called up 4 days ago, but then again, he didn't play until yesterday. .

It seems to be that they have to appeared in at least one MLB game

Why haven't they added Verlander yet then? If they add Paplebon tomorrow I'm going to be hella confused...
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Rirruto wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:

Are you seriously getting worked up about this? The call-up doesn't even seem to be official yet. It's not even on the Mariners official website, ESPN, Rotoworld. I think Yahoo has been great this year, the stats are always updated very early in the morning and new players are usually added about 2-5 days after their debut. No biggie. The last 2 players added today were Dustin McGowan and Yuniesky Betancourt. McGowan made his debut YESTERDAY and Betancourt made his debut 3 days ago. Yahoo has been pretty reliable in my opinion this year.

Well I actually did seriously have the discussion with my FFL commissioner, he asked our league if we should consider making the switch away from ESPN to Yahoo, and I used my experience on Yahoo this year to explain to him why there's no way we should have considered it. So we have stuck with where we were.

I don't deny that stats are usually updated reliably and functionality is OK, but the failure to have minor league players like this really affects things, IMO. In ESPN there is usually a bevy of non-starting players available, in case some kind of news comes up, or you want to speculate. Felix H. is not the first major guy this has happened with this year. This also happened with guys like Brandon Lyon, Huston Street, Zach Duke, Tim Stauffer (OK, that one didn't work out, but could have) off the top of my head, I am sure I am forgetting others. All of those first three guys have been impact players this year, especially in a 19-team league like mine where there is typically nothing decent on waivers. Getting guys like that off of info could be key, instead they have only typically become available after several games played, allowing even the most casual players to become aware of what they can do, and put in a claim for them. In my opinion, that directly impacts the competition itself, rather than just serving as a 'host' to the competition. That's an aspect I haven't been fond of.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 pm

I see what you are saying. Every edge you can get in such a deep league is necessary. It's not as big of a deal in my 10 team league.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:17 pm

wrveres wrote:I ve got the over/under on

"when will Felix be added to Yahoo?" threads at ... hmmm ... 6!

any takers?

I'm down with the 'over'.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers