Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felix Hernandez Called Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:22 am

Manfred wrote:
mamorris wrote:Yeah it seems like that's the case with all of them. Joel Pineiro is 2626, which would explain a lot.

As for Felix, nobody seems to mention this, but he's not really doing that well down in Triple A. You might get away with 48 walks in 88 innings in the minors, but if you're hoping that you'll get help from him this year, you might be disappointed. Having said that, he might still have that "honeymoon" period where hitters have to adjust to him, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get him just in case (and burn a waiver spot if you have to).

a 19 yr old, pitching in AAA, that is 9-4 with a 2.25 era and 100Ks in 88IP....a little disappointing, indeed

The general public doesn't seem to take into account age at all. Sure, Felix will probably go through rough patches but the kid is 19. He was pretty dominant in AAA if not for the walks. I do think they are rushing him a bit and I do think he will get roughed up from time to time. But there is no denying that Felix is the best pitching prospect right now due to his age, the tools and what he has accomplished thus far.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mamorris » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Manfred wrote:
mamorris wrote:Yeah it seems like that's the case with all of them. Joel Pineiro is 2626, which would explain a lot.

As for Felix, nobody seems to mention this, but he's not really doing that well down in Triple A. You might get away with 48 walks in 88 innings in the minors, but if you're hoping that you'll get help from him this year, you might be disappointed. Having said that, he might still have that "honeymoon" period where hitters have to adjust to him, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get him just in case (and burn a waiver spot if you have to).

a 19 yr old, pitching in AAA, that is 9-4 with a 2.25 era and 100Ks in 88IP....a little disappointing, indeed

ERA isn't overly relevant with only 88 IP. W-L is completely irrelevant, as is his age because I was only referring to this year. The Ks are nice, but I doubt we'll see the same rate in the majors. And there's still that whole thing about the walks...
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:03 pm

mamorris wrote:
Manfred wrote:

ERA isn't overly relevant with only 88 IP. W-L is completely irrelevant, as is his age because I was only referring to this year. The Ks are nice, but I doubt we'll see the same rate in the majors. And there's still that whole thing about the walks...

Everything is relevant. What are you talking about? The kid is 19 years old. What do you expect him to do?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:05 pm

The Mariners site now has up a story they he may start Thursday.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/ ... p&c_id=sea

"SEATTLE -- The much-anticipated Major League debut of Felix Hernandez could be two days away.
The Mariners' brightest pitching prospect reportedly will join the team in Detroit on Tuesday and get his first big-league start in Thursday afternoon's series finale against the Tigers at Comerica Park.

The 19-year-old from Venezuela would become the first teenager to start a game since Todd Van Poppel made his first, and only, start of the 1991 season while with the Athletics. Dwight Gooden was 19 in 1984, when he made 31 starts for the Mets.

Hernandez recently returned from a month-long hiatus because of bursitis in his right shoulder. After making one relief appearance, he returned to the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers' rotation Saturday and tossed four hitless innings, striking out seven and walking two.

He was 9-4 with a 2.25 ERA for Tacoma, holding opposing hitters to a .196 batting average. He has been especially effective recently, going 3-0 with a 1.05 ERA in his last eight outings."
Last edited by hybrid on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Yoda wrote:
mamorris wrote:
Manfred wrote:

Everything is relevant. What are you talking about? The kid is 19 years old. What do you expect him to do?

Yeah you do realize most 19 year olds are just in A ball and if they dominate there they are considered real good young prospects. For a 19 year old to even hold their own in AAA, against much much older competition, is amazing no matter how you look at it. Also he is pitching in one of the most hitter friendly leagues in the minor leagues. For AAA hitters to not even be able to hit .200 against him and have a 1.05 ERA in his last 8 outings is pretty stunning.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:24 pm

hybrid wrote:
Yoda wrote:
mamorris wrote:
Manfred wrote:

Yeah you do realize most 19 year olds are just in A ball and if they dominate there they are considered real good young prospects. For a 19 year old to even hold their own in AAA, against much much older competition, is amazing no matter how you look at it. Also he is pitching in one of the most hitter friendly leagues in the minor leagues. For AAA hitters to not even be able to hit .200 against him and have a 1.05 ERA in his last 8 outings is pretty stunning.

At the same time, I don't agree with their decision to bring him up. He's probably not ready yet and coming off the injury, you'd figure they'd find a better time to do this. But then again, we are talking about the M's here.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby proninja » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:28 pm

For what it's worth, Bavasi was on radio here in Seattle this morning and said that Felix will start on Thursday
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Yoda wrote:
mamorris wrote:
Manfred wrote:

At the same time, I don't agree with their decision to bring him up. He's probably not ready yet and coming off the injury, you'd figure they'd find a better time to do this. But then again, we are talking about the M's here.

He doesn't really have much more to prove at AAA, that's why they're bringing him up. The Mariners are out of it this year, and it's certainly not like they have 5 good SP and they have to cut one loose to let the King start. They've really got nothing to lose.

If they are going to be competitive within the next couple years, the best course of action is to bring up all their kids and see who's going to help and who's not. If Felix comes up and holds his own at 19, they can be pretty sure they don't need to go out and find a TOR starter. Same thing with Snelling, Morse, Lopez, Betancourt, and the catchers. They have to figure out what pieces they have now, and what pieces they need.

Plus, when you have a guy for whom the best comparison is a guy that won a Cy Young at 20 or whatever, and your pitching at the big league level blows, you gotta give him a shot. No ands, ifs, or buts about it.

I'm excited to see what the kid can do. I saw him at a ST game, and he was awesome! ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby Manfred » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:37 pm

for what it's worth, in spring training I remember one scout saying tha Felix had the best arm/stuff of ANY pitcher he saw...hands down.

But, by now, we all know that he has great stuff.
Manfred
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Box » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:42 pm

[quote="nsulham"]Wow is Felix REALLY this old? 8-o :-b

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... m=&id=8109[/quot

I heard Yoda taught him that sick curve.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -15)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers