Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jay Powell's arm injury!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Oat Soda » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Madison wrote:
Oat Soda wrote:Didn't something similar happen to Billy Wagner 7 or 8 years ago or am I dreaming?

Not that I remember offhand, but I could be wrong. :-?

No, I looked all over the internets but all I could find was reference to his 2000 injury, so I guess I dreamed it. But it seemed so real! :-D
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:26 am

no i dont think it happened to billy wagner..... i seem to remember him getting a line drive off the nose type of thing? is that what you are referrging to.......

It DID happen several years ago to Tom Browning of the reds and 3 or 4 years ago to a Tampa bay pitcher whose name totally escapes me.....

Re Dravecky: I seem to recall hearing that he ended up Losing the arm even/and or/ committing suicide or just dying from the cancer maybe???????? I am not positive about the dying but i am fairly sure he did lose the arm.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:52 am

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:Re Dravecky: I seem to recall hearing that he ended up Losing the arm even/and or/ committing suicide or just dying from the cancer maybe???????? I am not positive about the dying but i am fairly sure he did lose the arm.

INK

Yeah, he lost the arm:

Five days after Dravecky's historic comeback win in '89, a bone in his weakened left upper arm snapped as he delivered a pitch in a game in Montreal. He re-broke the arm in an NL West pennant-clinching celebration two months later. The cancer returned, and, in 1991, his arm had to be amputated.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/1998/05/13/SPORTS9208.dtl

Dravecky's arm was broken a second time. A doctor examining Dravecky's x-rays noticed a mass in his arm. Cancer had returned. Eighteen days later, Dravecky retired from baseball, aged 33, leaving a 64-57 record with 558 strikeouts and a 3.13 ERA in 1,062.2 innings.

After two more surgeries, his left arm continued to deterriorate, and on July 18, 1991, less than two years after his comeback with the Giants, Dravecky's left arm was amputated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dravecky

I could be mistaken, but I thought he was still alive? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers