Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francoeur...Braves fan...Over here

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:56 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:Not a Braves fan here, but I think comparing him to Vlad is a bit much, no? :D I guess he can possibly turn into Vlad some years from now, but maybe Soriano w/ fewer SBs would be a more realistic hope.

I don't know Vlad and Soriano's minor league stats, but Francoeur's minor league stats aren't quite *that* impressive, IIRC. Part of the problem though was an injury that impacted his performance last year. Still, IIRC, his SLG was still a bit below .500 this year despite a decent AVG -- he really didn't hit that many HRs -- and his plate discipline is simply atrocious. You might not see him walk for another 30 games.

One thing to take into account when looking at his SLG from last year was that he was playing at Myrtle Beach, one of the toughest hitters parks in the minors - something that is also to be considered when evaluating Braves' pitching prospects in the lower minors.

I think the comparisons to Soriano are more in line, again with less speed. But his power is legitimate and has been evident since high school. A .270-.280 hitter with 30-35 HR potential and bout 15-20 SB would be my guess.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby daullaz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:03 pm

As the new proud owner of a Jeff Francouer sig, I'd like to say that this guy is definitely for real and will help your fantasy team. Now, realize that there's no way he keeps up the incredible numbers he's posted, but he will be a productive 3rd OF for your team at the very least. We're witnessing the paths of potential and opportunity come to a head.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby linberg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:26 pm

Got a nice hit off of Duke today...
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:58 pm

daullaz wrote:As the new proud owner of a Jeff Francouer sig, I'd like to say that this guy is definitely for real and will help your fantasy team. Now, realize that there's no way he keeps up the incredible numbers he's posted, but he will be a productive 3rd OF for your team at the very least. We're witnessing the paths of potential and opportunity come to a head.

Might want to get that sig fixed first though -- shouldn't it be Francoeur, instead of Francouer?

Still waiting to see him take a BB. Maybe we should have a little poll for predicting when he gets his first non-intentional BB. :D

BTW, interesting that Duke hit him today -- a good control LHP hitting a righty batter. Maybe Duke decided it was easier to just hit him instead of intentionally walking him. :D

Nice outting by Duke although only 2 K's, which I guess is to be expected. I was concerned that maybe the Braves would give him real trouble as they seem to be very good against LHPs, especially w/ Francoeur in their lineup now. But they only managed 1 run off him in 8+ innings. Too bad I played it safe -- in part because he was facing Hudson -- and benched him today.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 44)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:10 pm

He takes a good approach up to the plate and isn't intimidated by MLB pitching. I want to wait a year to see how he reacts to pitchers developing a scouting report on him, then I'll make a judgement. Right now, to me, he's no more valuable than Austin Kearns.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:11 pm

Is it possible to even intentionally walk this guy? I mean, he may think it's close enough to swing at and take a rip from the sound of things. Maybe hitting him IS the only way to force him to not hit. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:02 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:He takes a good approach up to the plate and isn't intimidated by MLB pitching. I want to wait a year to see how he reacts to pitchers developing a scouting report on him, then I'll make a judgement. Right now, to me, he's no more valuable than Austin Kearns.

Well, I'd much rather have Kearns -- minus the injuries of course. :D

Anyway, how many good prospects really go up and get intimidated by typical MLB pitching anyway? It's not like they have to face a superstud SP everyday. If they're intimidated at all, then we probably wouldn't be here talking about them now. Not like we're chattering about Larry Walker or John Kruk ducking the Big Unit afterall. ;-)

The Loveable Losers wrote:Maybe hitting him IS the only way to force him to not hit. ;-)

Heheh, well, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned it. :D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 44)

Postby brandnew » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm

Soriano's a good comparison, too.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby daullaz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:57 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:
daullaz wrote:As the new proud owner of a Jeff Francouer sig, I'd like to say that this guy is definitely for real and will help your fantasy team. Now, realize that there's no way he keeps up the incredible numbers he's posted, but he will be a productive 3rd OF for your team at the very least. We're witnessing the paths of potential and opportunity come to a head.

Might want to get that sig fixed first though -- shouldn't it be Francoeur, instead of Francouer?

Still waiting to see him take a BB. Maybe we should have a little poll for predicting when he gets his first non-intentional BB. :D

BTW, interesting that Duke hit him today -- a good control LHP hitting a righty batter. Maybe Duke decided it was easier to just hit him instead of intentionally walking him. :D

Nice outting by Duke although only 2 K's, which I guess is to be expected. I was concerned that maybe the Braves would give him real trouble as they seem to be very good against LHPs, especially w/ Francoeur in their lineup now. But they only managed 1 run off him in 8+ innings. Too bad I played it safe -- in part because he was facing Hudson -- and benched him today.

Thanks for the catch. I'm glad I kept the receipt.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers