Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francoeur...Braves fan...Over here

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Francoeur...Braves fan...Over here

Postby CeeLoGreen » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:45 am

Anyone have any info on this guy. In a move of frustration, I dropped Webb and picked him up. His minor league stats looked decent. Any Braves homers have some insight???
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Real Deal » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:02 am

yeah, well i do not know too much about him either, but i have recently dropped willy mo pena for him. another move done out of frustration!
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brandnew » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:34 pm

He's actually very similar to Wily Mo Pena in that he doesn't walk AT ALL. I'd say he's a mix of Wily Mo Pena and Vlad. The no walking, but good SLG of Wily Mo, and the ability to hit pitcher's pitches of Vlad.

I think he's capable of like .300/.340/.570 35-40 HR's in his prime. He's also got very good speed, maybe 10-15 SB. He's been absolutely on fire in his limited playing time this year, though. He hit a ball out off his shoe laces yesterday to Left Center. It was ridiculous, I thought I was watching Vladdy.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:48 pm

I don't have any exceptional insight on this kid. I just thought that it was funny that you asked for a "homer" and the first response you got was from this guy:

Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -72)

Postby thehat » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:26 am

The only surprise with Francoeur is how rapid his rise has been. He's been can't miss since he was drafted in '02.

Only 21 years old, this is a huge ceiling guy. Wait till he figures out what he's doing.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby dundeeslugger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:53 am

What are the chances of him being a full time guy for the rest of the season?

Should I drop Brady Clark for him?
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:37 am

brandnew wrote:He's actually very similar to Wily Mo Pena in that he doesn't walk AT ALL. I'd say he's a mix of Wily Mo Pena and Vlad. The no walking, but good SLG of Wily Mo, and the ability to hit pitcher's pitches of Vlad.

I think he's capable of like .300/.340/.570 35-40 HR's in his prime. He's also got very good speed, maybe 10-15 SB. He's been absolutely on fire in his limited playing time this year, though. He hit a ball out off his shoe laces yesterday to Left Center. It was ridiculous, I thought I was watching Vladdy.

That's a good scouting report on Francoeur. I don't think he'll continue playing this well, because he really has to work on his plate discipline first. Yes, a player like Vlad can do that, but I want to see more before I bet on him this year. He'll be great in the future for sure.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:12 am

Not a Braves fan here, but I think comparing him to Vlad is a bit much, no? :D I guess he can possibly turn into Vlad some years from now, but maybe Soriano w/ fewer SBs would be a more realistic hope.

I don't know Vlad and Soriano's minor league stats, but Francoeur's minor league stats aren't quite *that* impressive, IIRC. Part of the problem though was an injury that impacted his performance last year. Still, IIRC, his SLG was still a bit below .500 this year despite a decent AVG -- he really didn't hit that many HRs -- and his plate discipline is simply atrocious. You might not see him walk for another 30 games.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 47)

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:01 am

Part of what makes him special is that he is very versatile of where he can hit around the plate. He doesn t get spooked.

I actually picked him up in my Dynasty league last month in a trade.

Even though he is doing great I am not going to bring him up this year.

My team is in last place and well no matter what Im not getting to first place in an 18 team league at this point.

Ill save his start-up contract for next year.

I really hope he can keep this up and become a solid player like David Wright.

Even though lol Im a Met Fan.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers