StlToday.com wrote:Customer sues Denny's over burned buttocks
By Robert Patrick of the Post-Dispatch
A Kansas woman sued Denny's Corp. and a local Denny's franchise owner Wednesday, claiming cleaning chemicals left on a Lake Saint Louis Denny's toilet seat burned her buttocks.
The lawsuit says Kathleen Williams, of Leavenworth County in Kansas, did not see the chemicals when she used the bathroom on Feb. 11, 2002, but felt them when she sat down.
Kansas lawyer Pedro Irigonegaray said that Williams had to be taken to the hospital "within moments" of sitting down. Irigonegaray said that Williams is a nurse with the Army.
The suit says Williams suffered chemical burns that resulted in serious and permanent injuries.
"Sadly, as a result of the chemical injury, nerves were injured that create a sensation of pain 24 hours a day," Irigonegaray said. Irigonegaray said that Williams has to take pain medication and wear special undergarments designed for burn victims.
The suit, filed against Denny's Corp. and Jomar Investments LLC in St. Louis Circuit Court, seeks more than $25,000 in damages. Irigonegaray said it was too early to be more specific.
The suit says Denny's employees were negligent in their use of the chemicals and their failure to warn customers of the danger. Irigonegaray said that the severity of Williams' injuries might suggest that several chemicals combined and had a synergistic effect.
Jomar Investments President Jim Erkman said he had not seen the lawsuit.
"I think it's a little premature to comment on that," he said.
Erkman said Jomar owns 15 restaurants in the area.
A spokesperson for Denny's could not be reached Wednesday evening.