Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curtis Granderson for Detroit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:46 pm

garf112 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Isn't Soriano two years older? That means he was a rookie at age 25.

You mean I did all that work for nothing? :-b

Seriously, though, that makes my argument even better, but I'm not going through all the numbers again only to have someone tell me that Soriano is now 35.

lol. For what it's worth I liked looking at the comparison.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:54 pm

Who said it was easily attainable for Abreu? He's only hit more than 30 HR in a season twice in his career and I'm pretty sure he was helped out a great deal by his home ball park last year.

25 HR-35 SB potential is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about w/ this guy and that seems to be what Abreu's 162 game averages are (24 and 30)

How is that comparison off?
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:04 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Who said it was easily attainable for Abreu? He's only hit more than 30 HR in a season twice in his career and I'm pretty sure he was helped out a great deal by his home ball park last year.

25 HR-35 SB potential is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about w/ this guy and that seems to be what Abreu's 162 game averages are (24 and 30)

How is that comparison off?

25 HR - 35 SB potential is one thing, but are you saying this kid is going to do that year in and year out? Because Abreu is one of the best players in the game right now and does more than go 25/35 and to compare a rookie to him is kind of lofty.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:10 pm

That's why I said years to come. To think he'll do it next year is lofty yes. But in 3 years? Why not?! Hell! Even Abreu has only gone 25-35 twice?!

I'm not arguing that he is one of the best players in the game, but there's nothing wrong with saying the guy can reach those numbers in 2-3 years.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:16 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:That's why I said years to come. To think he'll do it next year is lofty yes. But in 3 years? Why not?! Hell! Even Abreu has only gone 25-35 twice?!

I'm not arguing that he is one of the best players in the game, but there's nothing wrong with saying the guy can reach those numbers in 2-3 years.

I think the point is that it's premature to compare Granderson to anyone like Abreu. He's a fine prospect and he intrigues us all as most young players do. He's improving his game and now we get to see what he can do at the highest level. His plate discipline tells me that he won't become a superstar overnight.

If anything, his power potential looks great based on the extra base hits he's been banging out in the last two years including this one. But he will struggle and he will need to prove himself to be an everyday player first. Right now, he is worth keeping an eye on but not a bench spot.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fool42 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:30 pm

Another thing to keep in mind with a guy that has alot of speed is that his 2B's and 3B's could more a product of speed and aggresive base running than an indicator of future power.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Webster11 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Worth a spot over Mike Gonzalez, Cliff Lee or K Escobar in a dynasty league?
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:45 am

I would say over Escobar yes, the other 2 no, not yet. Escobar seems to have serious recurring injuries and is more of a headache than a young up and comer would be for a dynasty league.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:56 pm

Granderson was sent down today to make room for Polanco.
Here's the best link I've got at the time:
http://info.detnews.com/tigersblog/index.cfm
He'll almost definitely be back in a few days after the trade deadline passes, but until the Tigers trade Dmitri Young or RonDL White, the at bats could have been harder to come by for Granderson.
Dmitri will actually play some LF, unless White can get back in the field.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers