Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction keepers

Postby Captain Crash » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:38 am

I'm in a 12-team NL-only auction league with some stiff competition, I finished out of the money last season, but traded for some keepers. I was curious what you thought of the ones I'm keeping, and the ones "on the bubble." Believe it or not, we can keep up to 15 in the 23 man $260 league. Also, do most play auction or non-auction because I like auction better. Anyways:
I'm keeping Oswalt $6, Smoltz $6, Mantei $1, Prior $9, Beckett $10, Schmidt $1 and on offense Marrero $1, Tino Martinez $13, Bubba Trammell $1 and LoDuca $1.
Remember, in a league with this many keepers (who you can keep three years or long-term them for added money after three), you can keep some at cheap prices, and then in the auction, some go for much higher than normally would. Would you keep any of these guys as well?
Oliver Perez $10, Tim Redding $10, Brad Penny $12, Jason Marquis $13, Kurt Ainsworth $9, Jason Isringhausen $35, Barry Larkin $4, Morgan Ensberg $10, Greg Norton $1, Tom Goodwin $3 or Richard Hidalgo $16? Thanks. :-]
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brokentusks9 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:52 am

If you keep Tino Martinez for anything more than $1 you deserve to finish dead last.

Chances are he'll bat 6th, behind Pujols and Rolen..which would make one believe that he'd have some good RBI opportunities, but no.. he'll foul out, or strike out, or hit a weak roller to the 2nd baseman...and Renteria in the 7th spot will get everything Tino was supposed to do.

3 years 21 million? What was Jocketty smoking?
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Thanks

Postby Captain Crash » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am

Thanks for the advice on Tino, though he'll go for more than $1. I am a Tino Martinez fan from way back, but I don't want bias to cloud my judgement. I just thought cause I was saving money elsewhere, I could afford Tino. But the other guys in my league are too good for such a goof. Thanks. Anyone else feel the same way at $13?
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

tino for 13

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:36 am

i would agree with the response that tino for a buck is a ripoff, unless you enjoy killing your average and runs for 15 hr and MAYBE 80 rbi. he may not even be starting. when drew comes back, if marrero has been playing well they will want to keep him in that lineup and i think tony likes marrero a shade more than an over-the-hill tino. one other thing...penny is a keeper for sure. hes been close to getting there these last couple years hes primed for the "breakout" season. lance berkman anyone?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:17 am

Drop Tino, hes $12 too high, and add Perez.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby The Natural » Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:58 am

I am not a Tino fan but I have to disagree with some of the statements above. In a 12 team NL only league he is worth more than a buck. He is worth at least $2. LOL I would rank him around #12 in the NL with Helton, Thome, Bagwell, Klesko, Sexson, Nevin, Lee, McGriff, Vaughn, Casey and Choi ahead of him. Don't keep Tino for $13.

Perez showed some signs of being great last year but SanDiego is a little upset that he played in winter league playoffs. They wanted him to rest his arm. He could be very good in the coming years but will probably struggle sometimes this year. For $10 he may be a keeper depending on how much you will have to spend to keep him after 3 years.
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Tino Martinez

Postby Pep7005 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:16 am

Natural - I'm in a 14 team NL only auction league 23 players and we keep 15. It seems to be very similiar to yours - so I know about the values. I would somewhat agree with you on your assessment of Martinez. Its a 50/50 call if you ask me. Just remember that you can probably get him back for about the same price maybe a bit lower. Take a close look at the 1B that are "back in the pool" and the other teams in your league that need 1B and that should tell you whether or not to keep him. Also, I'm learning that its not always what a guy is worth but what everyone thinks he will go for in the auction. Do your homework and you should be fine either way you go with him. I don't think the others can really understand what its like to be in a league like ours until they are in one. Just to give the others an idea of what its like - 2 years ago Albert Pujols went for $13 even though he head never even looked at a major league pitch. Good luck.

Pep
Pep7005

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

other comments

Postby Pep7005 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:28 am

Here is my .02 on the others: 4X4 values I'm considering...

Perez $10 - I keep him, I like this guy but watch the situation between him and SD's GM. Perez could be in hot water for pitching this offseason. I really like the upside on him though.
Redding $10 - He'd probably go for about the same in the auction.
Penny $12 - Same in the auction
Marquis $13 - Throw him back
Ainsworth $9 - Again, I'd keep him.
Isringhausen $35 - Throw him back and go after him in the auction. I like this guy, but owners should be scared off of him a bit from the surgery. Maybe you'll get him a dollar or two cheaper.
Larkin $4 - I keep waiting for him to retire but he never does - keep him.
Ensberg $10 - Tough call here but I think I would throw him back. JW does not like his defensive abilities so I don't think he'll get much of a chance - the problem here of course is he has great potential and may have a solid year in that park. I still throw him back.
Norton $1 - what the hell? Keep him
Goodwin $3 - if you think he can get you some steals keep him.
Hidalgo $16 - ???? who knows about this guy. He signs a big contract and then tanks the year. Can he make a come back? He could, but be careful. He'll go for about $16 imo so its up to you.

Hope this helps
Pep
Pep7005

oooooops

Postby Pep7005 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:31 am

Those remarks should have been directed at Captain Crash and not the Natural. Sorry guys. Who really cares though - its the thought that counts.

Pep
Pep7005

Hey Pep

Postby Captain Crash » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:40 pm

Hey Pep, I really respect your comments, and your league seems to be very, very simlar to mine. Would you share your e-mail address? I'd like to hear more about your league and the players you have to protect. To answer another person's question about Oliver Perez - To keep him after three years, I would have to have him for $10 this season, $10 next season and then protect him for $15 the third season in order to get him for $15 the fourth season. Otherwise, I would just keep him at $10 this season, $10 next season and $10 the third season and lose him after three years. Thats's how our long-term contracts work. I could keep him for five years, but would have him for $10, $10, $20, $20, $20.
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers