Return to Baseball Leftovers

baseball reflections?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

baseball reflections?

Postby Matthias » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:56 pm

so someone posted a couple of days about the the "bandwagon" red sox fans... started me thinking about the sox fans and cub fans... reminded me of a story a friend of mine told me about a year ago. figured it made good mid-season baseball fodder. feel free to comment, add your own, or just ignore. whatever. but i always think it's a nice, warm story.

his grandmother came to the united states from poland. and as soon as she moved to the u.s., she moved to chicago. her first year in chicago, the cubs won the world series. ever after, she was a huge cubs fan.

being orthodox jewish, she would observe shabbat, including the stipuation of no starting any electrical devices of any kind. she would, however, make an exception. she would turn on the television to watch the cubs games. and, if my friend was over at the time, she would explain, "god, we have forever. ernie banks, we have for only a little while."
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:30 pm

Terrific story. ;-D

I've got a lot of baseball-related family pride, in some ways. My grampa was the first in my family born in America, to Irish immigrants in the '20s, in New York. So living in NYC, and watching Babe Ruth as a kid, Grampa developed a strong attachment to the Yanks. He was a baseball fanatic, and even went out for pro ball a couple times as a young man, before going off to fight WWII. And when my pop was born, he followed suit. When Dad was about 7 or so, they moved to Western Massachussetts. My two uncles grew up as Sox fans, since they were too young to have gotten into baseball while living in NYC, but Dad stuck with the Yankees, despite living in the cold black heart of Red Sox Nation :-D , and before too long a young slugger named Mantle became my pop's hero. So then my pop moved to NJ, and raised me and my brother with the Yankees too, except instead of Mantle we got Mattingly and Jeter. But I just think it's kind've cool how my grampa, my dad, my brother and I all have sat in that same stadium as little kids, pulling for the pinstripes. I've seen my old man cry twice: When his father died, and when Mickey Mantle died.

And as you can guess, having a family of half Sox fans and half Yankee fans, family gatherings tend to turn bloody. :-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers