Return to Baseball Leftovers

HR Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HR Derby

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:06 am

I wonder what the reason is for Abreu shattering the previous mark. I thought maybe it was the pitcher, but everyone hit off the same pitcher and nobody else hit even close to him. It was pretty amazing to watch. ;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dodger Blue » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:34 am

Wasn't the same pitcher actually. His was one of his coaches or a catcher from the Phillies. Several guys used their coaches.

The idiot from SI didn't even watch I guess. John Donovan, SI.com
Abreu hit 24 before Oritz hit 17

But by the time the rest of the world had its hacks in the first round -- Canada's Bay taking a collar, the U.S. (represented by Maryland's own Mark Teixeira, the first baseman for the Rangers) flicking out two measly dingers -- the fans in Comerica were aiming for the concession stands. Emcee Mike Tirico, announcing the festivities from the field, had to implore the crowd to cheer on the hitters. It wasn't until the Dominican Republic's David Ortiz (who also happens to play for the Red Sox) pounded 17 over the fences -- an effort that also broke last year's record of 15, set by Miguel Tejada -- that people started perking up again. And then hometown hero Ivan Rodriguez of the Tigers, from Vega Baja, Puerto Rico, jacked them up by pounding out a couple of homers with one out left to bang his way into the finals.

Phillies: Abreu sets a record

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Tuesday, July 12, 2005

News
Phillies outfielder Bobby Abreu had a historic night on Monday. He won the Home Run Derby by defeating David Ortiz in the final round and destroyed the single-round record of 15 homers with his 24 long-balls in the first round. He finished the event with another record, 41 home runs in three rounds.

Good god did these guys even watch the Derby?
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby theclefe » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:18 am

But by the time the rest of the world had its hacks in the first round -- Canada's Bay taking a collar, the U.S. (represented by Maryland's own Mark Teixeira, the first baseman for the Rangers) flicking out two measly dingers -- the fans in Comerica were aiming for the concession stands. Emcee Mike Tirico, announcing...

That sounds right. It was boring after Abreu because Bay and Tex were pitiful. I would assume he talked about Abreu in the first previous paragraph.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -87)

Postby Dodger Blue » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:36 am

Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:28 pm

Updated on Monday, Jul 11, 2005 11:47 pm EDT

I guess they were a little tired....idiots.
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -460)

Return to Baseball Leftovers