Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's sign Kotsay to 3-year extension...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:19 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Ok, so he's good defensively, and hits well. But does good across the board warrant 8 million a year, especially from the A's? That's alot of money for these guys...

Kotsays career OBP is .340 with a slugging at .420 to give him a .764 career OPS. Yes Kotsay is at a younger age (29), but it shouldn't be expected for his slugging to go much higher, and his OBP should stay roughly the same. Kotsay isn't going to be a middle of the line-up guy.. I know Oakland has some young studs coming up who they hope can hit, but spending 8 million on Kotsay? Yes he's a good player, but that doesn't seem like a good value for your dollar..

as an A's fan, i like that we've kept kotsay. his defence in center is top notch, he brings a stable bat to the top of the lineup, and he's got a bit of leader in him. he's the type of guy people look up to. it's chavvy's team, but kotsay has helped buoy them as well. kotsay's been underrated since he got to the majors. he was a stud in college if i remember right, and was a let down with his bat a bit his first few years. but he's got all the talent across the board to merit this kind of money. i agree with davidmarver about the little things he does as well. i think its money well spent, but i guess we'll have to see how it plays out.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1Bogie » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:07 pm

Yeah, I don't know. Amazing that they let Giambi and Tejada walk, and trade away Mulder and Hudson, but spend 15 million on Kotsay...[/quote]

Kotsay is underated and he's hitting second, putting up strong numbers. No reason why he can't finish with a stellar
.310 20, 90, 90 and 10 sb.. No need to sit him against lefties, he hits better against them.
1Bogie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby myteamsucks » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:42 pm

being in oakland and a fan of the team opposite side of the bay, i see a lot of both teams. you truly don't understand how good kotsay is until you've seen him play for a while. he's a top 5 OF defensively and a very very good contact hitter. i don't like the signing becasue it means the giants can't get him, but a very good move for the a's.
myteamsucks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm

1Bogie wrote:
Yeah, I don't know. Amazing that they let Giambi and Tejada walk, and trade away Mulder and Hudson, but spend 15 million on Kotsay...

Kotsay is underated and he's hitting second, putting up strong numbers. No reason why he can't finish with a stellar
.310 20, 90, 90 and 10 sb.. No need to sit him against lefties, he hits better against them.

I agree that he's underrated. I wanted the Yankees to get him (though not for Beane's price). I'm just surprised they signed him after letting much better players walk.

And I never said anything about hitting lefties. Though I don't agree with your predictions. He's not going to drive 90 runs in, in that lineup.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:51 pm

I agree that I still dont see him being a $8million/year type player but I guess I didnt look into certain factors heavily enough, I instead am basing his money on his base stats--which DONT warrant that amount of money.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:07 am

The line drive statistic doesn't paticularly support that Kotsay is a good hitter. My main response to him being 2nd in the line drive statistical category would be, so what? The man still has an OB of .335 and a slugging of .405 this year. I like Kotsay myself, but was the market for him really 8 million for a guy who doesn't walk, has little speed, and little power? I think the A's overpaid for the guy, that's all. He's a good fit on tons of teams, but not on the A's for 8 million.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:24 am

Everyone keeps bringing up Tejada and Giambi, but do you really think they could have kept them for a price comprable to what they just signed Kotsay for? I doubt it. I won't say they stole Kotsay at that price, or that he's in the same category as the other two, but he's a great player that no one else was overly interested in because his traditional numbers (AVG, R, RBI, etc) weren't overwhelming. The A's did very well landing him for that long at that price IMO. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Madison » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:11 am

davidmarver wrote:Kotsay's one the best outfielders in the game; there's not one category in which he's below average. Last year he led the A's in win shares with 22; the same amount as Travis Hafner, Curt Schilling, Aramis Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, and Jim Thome. I'm sure they all deserve 2 year $15,000,000 contracts. Even with Kotsay's lackluster hitting statistics so far this year he still has the same amount of Win Shares as Andruw Jones; this re-enforces my theory on how much Mark Kotsay does 'the little things'. (My past comments can be read in the 'Dear Brian Cashman thread': http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=143406). Looking at fielding win shares, Mark Kotsay ranks fifth for all outfielders, behind Brady Clark, Vernon Wells, Carlos Beltran, and Jeremy Reed; Kotsay has more hitting win shares than those afformentioned four. Besides all this, Kotsay is a pretty pure hitter as is. He ranks second in the AL for line-drive percentage behind Brian Roberts and directly ahead of Michael Young. Not bad company. Kotsay doesn't get very much respect because what he stands out in doesn't have very much statistical prowess, but he's still one of the games premier centerfielders. Don't be fooled into believing otherwise.

Nice read David. ;-D

Didn't realize just how underrated he is, but I'm still not sold that he's worth that kind of money to a team that doesn't really have it to throw around. :-? Just strikes me as odd. :-? Wonder if they are giving up on the free agent market for next year, or if by some chance they are actually going to up the payroll a bit. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:29 am

Madison wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Kotsay's one the best outfielders in the game; there's not one category in which he's below average. Last year he led the A's in win shares with 22; the same amount as Travis Hafner, Curt Schilling, Aramis Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, and Jim Thome. I'm sure they all deserve 2 year $15,000,000 contracts. Even with Kotsay's lackluster hitting statistics so far this year he still has the same amount of Win Shares as Andruw Jones; this re-enforces my theory on how much Mark Kotsay does 'the little things'. (My past comments can be read in the 'Dear Brian Cashman thread': http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=143406). Looking at fielding win shares, Mark Kotsay ranks fifth for all outfielders, behind Brady Clark, Vernon Wells, Carlos Beltran, and Jeremy Reed; Kotsay has more hitting win shares than those afformentioned four. Besides all this, Kotsay is a pretty pure hitter as is. He ranks second in the AL for line-drive percentage behind Brian Roberts and directly ahead of Michael Young. Not bad company. Kotsay doesn't get very much respect because what he stands out in doesn't have very much statistical prowess, but he's still one of the games premier centerfielders. Don't be fooled into believing otherwise.

Nice read David. ;-D

Didn't realize just how underrated he is, but I'm still not sold that he's worth that kind of money to a team that doesn't really have it to throw around. :-? Just strikes me as odd. :-? Wonder if they are giving up on the free agent market for next year, or if by some chance they are actually going to up the payroll a bit. :-?

Agreed.

It just seems like a ton of money/maybe too much for that team to give out to him. I'm very surprised to see them spend that much money on a player like Kotsay.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:31 am

I thought there was talk of A's ownership changing hands, or did I completely dream that up? :-? If that's the case Beane may be locking up some of his pricier players now, perhaps? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers