Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's sign Kotsay to 3-year extension...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:39 pm

jellyroll wrote:I see 3 years?? not 2.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=f ... &type=lgns

Yeah, I edited it... it was originally 2. :-?

Yahoo!'s extended article
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:54 pm

$15 for two years is way too much for a guy of Kotsay's caiber. He doesnt hit for crazy high average, doesnt hit for power, doesnt have great speed, scores an above average amount of runs and knocks in an above average amount of runs. This doesnt translate to $8 million next year. Am I missing something here? Is this guy a team leader that is needed for the A's to win? Someone, please explain to me why this guy got that kind of money.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:$15 for two years is way too much for a guy of Kotsay's caiber. He doesnt hit for crazy high average, doesnt hit for power, doesnt have great speed, scores an above average amount of runs and knocks in an above average amount of runs. This doesnt translate to $8 million next year. Am I missing something here? Is this guy a team leader that is needed for the A's to win? Someone, please explain to me why this guy got that kind of money.

Yeah, I don't know. Amazing that they let Giambi and Tejada walk, and trade away Mulder and Hudson, but spend 15 million on Kotsay...
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:58 pm

Oh wait, it's 3 year contract? Then that means he's getting 5 million per year. Not as bad as 7.5 but I'm still surprised they decided to keep him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:11 pm

Its a 2 year extension. In the extension he gets paid $8 million the first year and $7 million in the second year. ESPN. com says that the total amount he will earn through 2008 (including 2005) will be $29 million. This comes out to $7.25 million a year but he is making $6.5 this year. So they pretty much signed him for around $7-8 a year and Im still trying to figure out why....
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:24 pm

Kotsay's one the best outfielders in the game; there's not one category in which he's below average. Last year he led the A's in win shares with 22; the same amount as Travis Hafner, Curt Schilling, Aramis Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, and Jim Thome. I'm sure they all deserve 2 year $15,000,000 contracts. Even with Kotsay's lackluster hitting statistics so far this year he still has the same amount of Win Shares as Andruw Jones; this re-enforces my theory on how much Mark Kotsay does 'the little things'. (My past comments can be read in the 'Dear Brian Cashman thread': http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=143406). Looking at fielding win shares, Mark Kotsay ranks fifth for all outfielders, behind Brady Clark, Vernon Wells, Carlos Beltran, and Jeremy Reed; Kotsay has more hitting win shares than those afformentioned four. Besides all this, Kotsay is a pretty pure hitter as is. He ranks second in the AL for line-drive percentage behind Brian Roberts and directly ahead of Michael Young. Not bad company. Kotsay doesn't get very much respect because what he stands out in doesn't have very much statistical prowess, but he's still one of the games premier centerfielders. Don't be fooled into believing otherwise.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm

davidmarver wrote:Kotsay's one the best outfielders in the game; there's not one category in which he's below average. Last year he led the A's in win shares with 22; the same amount as Travis Hafner, Curt Schilling, Aramis Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, and Jim Thome. I'm sure they all deserve 2 year $15,000,000 contracts. Even with Kotsay's lackluster hitting statistics so far this year he still has the same amount of Win Shares as Andruw Jones; this re-enforces my theory on how much Mark Kotsay does 'the little things'. (My past comments can be read in the 'Dear Brian Cashman thread': http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=143406). Looking at fielding win shares, Mark Kotsay ranks fifth for all outfielders, behind Brady Clark, Vernon Wells, Carlos Beltran, and Jeremy Reed; Kotsay has more hitting win shares than those afformentioned four. Besides all this, Kotsay is a pretty pure hitter as is. He ranks second in the AL for line-drive percentage behind Brian Roberts and directly ahead of Michael Young. Not bad company. Kotsay doesn't get very much respect because what he stands out in doesn't have very much statistical prowess, but he's still one of the games premier centerfielders. Don't be fooled into believing otherwise.

Excellent analysis. Mark Kotsay is so underrated, it's not even funny. Anyone surprised he's on the Oakland A's and they won't let him go?

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:13 pm

Thanks for the info on Kotsay. I didnt go into sabermetric analysis since I really dont follow Kotsay. I am actually very surprised about the info presented. Thanks for clearing this up. His numbers are then definitely decieving.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:59 pm

Ok, so he's good defensively, and hits well. But does good across the board warrant 8 million a year, especially from the A's? That's alot of money for these guys...

Kotsays career OBP is .340 with a slugging at .420 to give him a .764 career OPS. Yes Kotsay is at a younger age (29), but it shouldn't be expected for his slugging to go much higher, and his OBP should stay roughly the same. Kotsay isn't going to be a middle of the line-up guy.. I know Oakland has some young studs coming up who they hope can hit, but spending 8 million on Kotsay? Yes he's a good player, but that doesn't seem like a good value for your dollar..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers