Return to Baseball Leftovers

"yankee hating"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:25 am

TheYanks04 wrote:You have been here long enough BronxBombers to know that 90% of the stuff in this forum consists of:

1. Yankee Bashing.
2. Yankee vs Red Sox arguments
3. Yankee vs Met arguments.
4. Bonds apologists defending him like some shady lawyer.
5. Roids vs non-roids player arguments (one of my personal favorites).

The other 10% actually has to do with fantasy baseball.

He seems to have about covered it. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:28 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:There is alot of that mweir, I agree. But alot of people make negative remarks in Yankee threads that aren't BoSox fans. Whether it's just a cheap shot at the actual team, or they say Yankee fans think the world revolves around them. Things like that piss people off. If people can't see that then there's something wrong with them.

Ya I have been noticing that alot since my time here, even today I came across a couple of these remarks going through the Jeter snubbed topics.. If i was a Yankees fan, I would be especially angry about generalizations like "you Yankee fans" because not every fan believes the same thing. Ive seen tons of things like that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:29 am

Yeah, there's alot of Yankee-Red Sox stuff. To me though, I take it as fooling around. The rivalry is huge, both teams are equal in power and they are constantly trying to better eachother. What's the fun in the rivalry if you can't take jabs at eachother?

To me, it seems like it's Yankees vs. Red Sox to a smaller degree, but in the big picture its the World vs. Yankees/Sox. When I take shots at the Sox, they are usually good-hearted and I know I'll be getting one right back with the Yankees. Nothing that makes eachother angry or starts fights (although there are instances of this, don't get me wrong.)

But it seems like because the Yankees are the Yankees, everyone else feels like they have a right to take shots at them at will. That's what pisses ME off, personally. I can't speak for anyone else but its the constant hatred toward the team, and biasedness (?) of everything that is anti-Yankee that really annoys me.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby WharfRat » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:30 am

mweir145 wrote:
blankman wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Maybe you don't notice it because you don't root for the Yankees or the Red Sox, but there are ALOT of snide remarks made, whether joking or not, that inspire most of us to get annoyed. Because the Yankees and the Red Sox are the two most hated teams in baseball, alot of people make alot of smart alleck remarks in almost EVERY thread regarding them. Maybe if everyone kept to the subject instead of making those remarks, nobody would get annoyed or angry.

The problem starts there. If people can not take little shots at those teams, there would be no problem. I for one, have NO problem discussing weaknesses or things that go against the Yankees favor. It's when people make useless remarks to try to sound cute that I get irritated. No other teams are treated that way, and I understand, as Yankee fan that I need to be aware that I'm going to take more abuse than say, a Minnesota Twin fan or something. But the problem is with everyone, not just the fans of those teams.

That's my take anyway. Take whatever you want from it.

You know that it is usually Yankee fans making the snide remarks regarding the Bo-Sox, and thats its usually Bo-Sox fans making the snide remarks about Yankee fans. Not to make any generalizations, but that is just the way things are concerning baseball in the AL East.

That's simply not true. I see comments that relate to a narrow-minded hatred for the Yankees from Seattle fans, San Diego fans, LA fans, its all over the place. The same but to a lesser extent is the case with the Sox.

Yes that is true, The Yankees are the most hated team in baseball, much more so than the Bo-Sox. I mean i was just reading the last page of the "Jeter snubbed" topic, and I caught a few of these snide comments like " You Yankee fans should stop crying over Jeter's snub." I think that was from a Met fan though I can't remember. But you must admit, Yankees fans and Sox fans usually disagree on alot of things..

I think his point was that it's not just Sox fans that make those comments. I agree the Yanks are the most hated team in baseball, which is fine so long as people aren't jerks about it.

And getting to take part in the Yankees/Sox rivalry is priceless, I should add, even when the Yanks lose. ;-D It's like Yin and Yang or something.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:30 am

I honestly don't care people making jokes or posting negative stuff about the Yankees as long as they have something to back it up and don't make themselves look like idiots. The thing that gets to me most is people talking about the payroll and taking direct shots at the fans like we actually have control over the payroll and the front office. Most people make it seem like we're evil and bad people for being Yankee fans, it's not like most (non-bandwaggoners) of us can help that since we're mostly brought up or naturally are fans. It only pisses me off when some nobody just pops out of nowhere in a thread just to make a dumb remark or comment, it's fun to joke around and be sarcastic with the Sox/Yanks rivalry 'cause most of us are civilized about it and realize we're joking around. The people that just don't know what they're talking about and are just making comments cause they hate the Yankees is what bothers me most.

Edit: Bronx and Wharf basically summed up my thoughts with their last posts, didn't see them while I was typing.
Last edited by MMoNeY24 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:32 am

mweir145 wrote:
blankman wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Maybe you don't notice it because you don't root for the Yankees or the Red Sox, but there are ALOT of snide remarks made, whether joking or not, that inspire most of us to get annoyed. Because the Yankees and the Red Sox are the two most hated teams in baseball, alot of people make alot of smart alleck remarks in almost EVERY thread regarding them. Maybe if everyone kept to the subject instead of making those remarks, nobody would get annoyed or angry.

The problem starts there. If people can not take little shots at those teams, there would be no problem. I for one, have NO problem discussing weaknesses or things that go against the Yankees favor. It's when people make useless remarks to try to sound cute that I get irritated. No other teams are treated that way, and I understand, as Yankee fan that I need to be aware that I'm going to take more abuse than say, a Minnesota Twin fan or something. But the problem is with everyone, not just the fans of those teams.

That's my take anyway. Take whatever you want from it.

You know that it is usually Yankee fans making the snide remarks regarding the Bo-Sox, and thats its usually Bo-Sox fans making the snide remarks about Yankee fans. Not to make any generalizations, but that is just the way things are concerning baseball in the AL East.

That's simply not true. I see comments that relate to a narrow-minded hatred for the Yankees from Seattle fans, San Diego fans, LA fans, its all over the place. The same but to a lesser extent is the case with the Sox.

Yes that is true, The Yankees are the most hated team in baseball, much more so than the Bo-Sox. I mean i was just reading the last page of the "Jeter snubbed" topic, and I caught a few of these snide comments like " You Yankee fans should stop crying over Jeter's snub." I think that was from a Met fan though I can't remember. But you must admit, Yankees fans and Sox fans usually disagree on alot of things..

We sure do but I think there's a very noticable difference now in the interaction between the two fan bases.

I know that I have worked a lot of things out with nsulham, a prominent Sox fan here, in the interest of cutting down on the nonsense and I've spoken with other Yankee fans that have agreed to do the same to cut down on the garbage between the two fanbases and I think there's a large difference now. I will venture to say now that most of the snide comments about the Yankees do not come from Sox fans anymore.

Btw fellas, Tony Womack is no longer a starter. ;-) Melky Cabrera figures to get every opportunity to succeed in taking over CF. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:34 am

Ya you are right.. It usually isn't the Sox fans that iniatiate the little snide remarks about the Yankees, but it is the other fans of the other teams. Going through these events in my mind where I have seen examples of this, it hasn't always been Sox fans that say this stuff.
These comments are unfair to Yankee fans in general. Most of the Sox-Yankee stuff is in good fun though, this is true.
Last edited by mweir145 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby with_pleasure » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:34 am

I think this board comes across as "yankee-hating" because the Yankees, as a ballclub, are run in a very traditionalist way which isn't always smart. And a lot of the people on this board can see that. When a team with a $40 MM payroll makes a dumb business decision, it's somewhat forgiveable because they only had a few legitimate options to choose from. If the Yankees - a team who often uses very short-sighted criteria to evaluate the players they sign and trade for - make a mistake, it's much more in the spotlight. It's understandable that people make fun of it because, frankly, it's funny. The Womack situation is funny because it's glaringly disproportionate to have the (statistically-speaking) "worst" baseball player in decades consistently start for the team with the highest payroll.

I think a lot of people on this board are intelligent, number-crunching type people who don't necessarily see through the same lens as a lot of Yankee fans. Jeter is an amazing player, but despite how good he looks, he's never been a good defensive shortstop and it actually makes a lot of sense to suggest he moves into CF. Furthermore, Jhonny Peralta is much more deserving of an All-Star spot than Jeter this year.

Statistical analysis disproves a lot of popular pro-Yankee rhetoric. That isn't to say that Yankee fans are dumb, but it is to say that you can afford to overlook a lot of meaningful, in-depth, empirical statistics if you have $210 MM to spend on a baseball team.

And didn't the Yankees have like, 9 All-Stars last year?
Last edited by with_pleasure on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:37 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Yeah, there's alot of Yankee-Red Sox stuff. To me though, I take it as fooling around. The rivalry is huge, both teams are equal in power and they are constantly trying to better eachother. What's the fun in the rivalry if you can't take jabs at eachother?

To me, it seems like it's Yankees vs. Red Sox to a smaller degree, but in the big picture its the World vs. Yankees/Sox. When I take shots at the Sox, they are usually good-hearted and I know I'll be getting one right back with the Yankees. Nothing that makes eachother angry or starts fights (although there are instances of this, don't get me wrong.)

But it seems like because the Yankees are the Yankees, everyone else feels like they have a right to take shots at them at will. That's what pisses ME off, personally. I can't speak for anyone else but its the constant hatred toward the team, and biasedness (?) of everything that is anti-Yankee that really annoys me.

I hear you and tend to agree. Only difference is that I expect that sort of idiotic behavoir from the majority of people here. 90% of the stuff here I do not even bother reading or opening up because it is just blatant bashing or some Red Sox fan taking a jab.

We differ in one respect though...frankly, the Red Sox fans do not bother me not because I consider it good natured (it isn't... it is total and complete hatred on my part) but because I dish it out with the best of them.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:39 am

with_pleasure wrote:I think this board comes across as "yankee-hating" because the Yankees, as a ballclub, are run in a very traditionalist way which isn't always smart. And a lot of the people on this board can see that. When a team with a $40 MM payroll makes a dumb business decision, it's somewhat forgiveable because they only had a few legitimate options to choose from. If the Yankees - a team who often uses very short-sighted criteria to evaluate the players they sign and trade for - make a mistake, it's much more in the spotlight. It's understandable that people make fun of it because, frankly, it's funny. The Womack situation is funny because it's glaringly disproportionate to have the "worst" baseball player (statistically) in decades consistently start for the team with the highest payroll.

I think a lot of people on this board are intelligent, number-crunching type people who don't necessarily see through the same lens as a lot of Yankee fans. Jeter is an amazing player, but despite how good he looks, he's never been a good defensive shortstop and it actually makes a lot of sense to suggest he moves into CF. Furthermore, Jhonny Peralta is much more deserving of an All-Star spot than Jeter this year.

Statistical analysis disproves a lot of popular pro-Yankee rhetoric. That isn't to say that Yankee fans are dumb, but it is to say that you can afford to overlook a lot of meaningful, in-depth, empirical statistics if you have $210 MM to spend on a baseball team.

And didn't the Yankees have like, 9 All-Stars last year?

Are you serious? 8-o Johnny Peralta over Derek Jeter? I sure hope that was a joke.

From what I've seen of Jeter, and I've seen alot of him being a Jays fan, he is a great defensive shortstop, and I would be happy to have him play over Russ Adams any day.

Didn't somebody mention that the Yankees payroll wasn't the fans' fault? You can't hold this agaisnt any Yankee fan in any argument because it is something they can't control.

If the Yankees have 9 All-Stars it is usually because they deserve it..
Last edited by mweir145 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers