Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blalock/Teixeira?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blalock/Teixeira?

Postby ScurvyDog » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:59 am

What's everyones take on where these two play as the season progresses? What does the stat lines look like?

I am in a 5x5 league that keeps up to 15 each year (an 11 in the minor leagues). After finishing in 1st place the last two years, trades etc. have left me with no keepers except young talent. So, I plan to use 2003 to rebuild. My keeper list (including minors) consists of:

AJ Pierzynski
Toby Hall
Carlos Pena
Joe Crede
Hank Blalock
Nick Johnson
Kevin Mench
Justin Morneau (ML)
Eric Munson (ML)
Dewon Brazelton (ML)
Jon Rauch (ML)
Ryan Anderson (ML)

My question about Blalock is this - when you couple these "potential" players (all very inexpensive too) with Derek Lowe, Buehrle, and Percival, I may even have a chance to have my cake (future) and eat it too (finish in the money this year). My thinking is that Blalock is the least likely on this list to produce this year, so my thought is, do I dump Blalock and keep Olerud instead?

Help ... It's so hard to just decide to rebuild when the competition flows in the veins ... ;-)
ScurvyDog

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:23 am

I'm not sure Blalock is the least likely to produce; Mench and Johnson are far from sure things as well...

Not sure what your competition looks like, but with those keepers, I'd probably go with plan B and rebuild, keeping Blalock. If after the draft you feel that you can contend, trading Blalock is always an option.

As far as 2003 production goes, look for both Blalock and Teixeira to have learning years. They'll look great at times, awful at others. I think Blalock will stay at 3b, with Teixeira shifting, but that could easily change. The future looks very bright for both these guys, but everything you get this year is gravy...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby yeyo44 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:23 am

Keep Blalock, and look for Crede to have a good year. I'm not big on Pena, you might want to drop him and keep Olerud.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby MikeeDee » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:30 am

Pena will be fine. After joining the Tigers he hit pretty well with some power, nobody expects him to be Jason Giambi anymore or a rookie of the year candidate.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers