Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hinske or Nevin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hinske or Nevin

Postby miller » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:36 pm

In a 14 team 5 x 5 keeper league, would you keep Hinske or Nevin.The other hitters I am keeping are Piazza Ramierez Thome A-Rod
miller
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Boris Milk » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:58 am

I would keep Hinske because of his youth and his upside. Nevin is a great player when he is healthy, but he is almost past his prime. Hinske has years to keep getting better. This year he might have lower numbers than Nevin, but in the long run Hinske is your man.
"Only 2 kinds of people wear sunglasses indoors; Blind people and assholes."
Boris Milk
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Hbj79 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:45 am

I would keep Hinske. You don't have much speed in your other protectable players and Hinske will get you 10-15 more Sb's than Nevin.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:06 am

Hinske since it's keeper.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby yeyo44 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:17 am

I would say Hinske because of age, but remember that Nevin will qualify as an OF this year also.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Hinske

Postby timstlguru » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:20 am

hinske
timstlguru
College Coach
College Coach

Postby accohen » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:30 am

I'm gonna go against the grain here....I say you keep Nevin. Hinske should be good to great for years to come, but he definitely isn't a "lock" for greatness and may suffer through a sophomore slump...look at Dunn last year. Nevin, this year, will qualify for both 3B and OF (VERY valuable), and is a PROVEN 30-40 HR/100 RBI guy who hits clean up....and still could be a good keeper for a few years. Just my opinion....even in keeper leagues, sometimes you gotta go for it THIS year AND look towards the next, and I think Nevin is the way to go for that.....
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mattusd » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:24 pm

yeah, i guess i agree... nevin qualifies at 3B, OF and 1B also because of last year.... so that gives you a lot of flexibility... I had nevin last year and he disappointed me, but I kept him in my keeper league over Joe Crede...

but, I don't think hinske will have a soph slump because he hit well all year last year, including the second half....

but nevin is not THAT old, he still has 3 30 hr years in him and possibly 40 hrs.... in my opinion, he's the strongest player in the league because of his ability to crush balls to the opposite field.

Hinske is good and a pretty good player to have for a keeper league, however, there are better long term 3B prospects out there that you can take a chance on this year and next like Blalock, Teixera, and Burroughs that could make nice picks this year and keep them for next year if that is the direction you are going in.

so i say keep nevin, and look for one of these youngsters in this year's draft or next.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby yeyo44 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:32 pm

I wouldn't say Dunn had a slump, yes maybe in the 2nd half he was awful, but the 1st half he was great. He is going to be a monster this year, He walks alot and he will hit about 35 HR.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers