Return to Baseball Leftovers

oswalt in (Pods too)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:39 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
blankman wrote:I'd rather have Jeter taking an at bat away from Young than have Pods take an at bat away from any other OF. The difference between Pods and the other players is greater IMO. Jeter has been there before and perfomed and Pods' OBP and SLG are mediocre in comparison to Jeter's so I do believe Derek's effect on the game would be greater than Pods' simply because he's a better and more pressure tested player.

This makes sense because the ASG is such a pressure-packed event. I've even heard of the players crying before the game because they are so unnerved by the pressure.

With home field advantage on the line, you don't think the players care?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:43 am

blankman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
blankman wrote:I'd rather have Jeter taking an at bat away from Young than have Pods take an at bat away from any other OF. The difference between Pods and the other players is greater IMO. Jeter has been there before and perfomed and Pods' OBP and SLG are mediocre in comparison to Jeter's so I do believe Derek's effect on the game would be greater than Pods' simply because he's a better and more pressure tested player.

This makes sense because the ASG is such a pressure-packed event. I've even heard of the players crying before the game because they are so unnerved by the pressure.

Maybe the ones from about 4 or 5 teams that actually have a shot care, but why in the world would Danys Baez give a crap about who wins the ASG?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:43 am

blankman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

I've thought about this myself before. Overall I don't think the players care TOO much about the homefield thing, especially not players on teams that the HFA won't even affect.

You mean to tell me if Brian Fuentes comes in the game in a crucial spot late, he's going to be amped up because HFA is on the line for the NL? Hell no. He'll want to excel for pride purposes, not because he can do his league a favor.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:44 am

blankman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

The AS Game is a game for fun, I don't think the players play it as seriously as they normally would. If this was the case, then the scores of these games wouldn't be so high.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:53 am

None of this changes the fact that Jeter's the better player and has posted the best season fellas.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby matmat » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:55 am

JGreer wrote:
2) get on base,

hah
ahahha
hahahahhaah
my numbers might be little bit off, i was counting on my screen, but I think there are 57 players ahead of him in the OBP department in the majors so far, so I wouldn't exactly say he's a 'catalyst'....
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby baseballnewb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:55 am

To put it bluntly, someone with under a 700 OPS needs a heck of a lot more going for them than 41 steals with 9 caught and below average defense to make the all star team. Pods going is a complete joke.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:59 am

blankman wrote:None of this changes the fact that Jeter's the better player and has posted the best season fellas.

I think you've already presented your case there and it's mostly agreed.

I was commenting on the whole HFA thing and whether it matters. Don't know what that has to do with Jeter :-?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:37 am

blankman wrote:None of this changes the fact that Jeter's the better player and has posted the best season fellas.

get.

over.

it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:44 am

Matthias wrote:

get.

over.

it.

If I was a yankees fan, I wouldn't like not having Jeter play either. What Blankman said is true though, Jeter is the better player and has posted the better season thus far..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers