Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield Suspended 2 games? Plus 4 for Kline?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:56 pm

blankman wrote:The ump was the one confronting Sheffield. He got right in his face and threw him out immediately after making the wrong call.

And ns.. I asked you politely to say something useful on the topic and you attack me for it? I said nothing sarcastic or irrelevant to the topic like you did, so don't accuse me of the garbage you pulled.

Actually no, you labeled me as someone who only writes negative and/or sarcastic things which is simply not true. Just because I made one remark in this thread doesn't mean I ALWAYS do it, so don't go saying "could you please for once say something relevant."

If you hadn't attacked my credibility we wouldn't have had a problem.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sheffield Suspended 2 games? Plus 4 for Kline?????

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:59 pm

blankman wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
blankman wrote:Sheffield was wrongly called out and was upset about it as he should have been.

Just embarrassing actions by the League here. Supsending players for reacting to two calls that were made wrongly by baseball's umps. :-t

The Yankees have made a big deal about that call but the Yankees ended up winning the game so no harm, no foul. Now I definitely agree with you that it was a bad call but when you flip out on an umpire you're just asking for it.

When the league realizes that its the wrong call, they should have just left it all alone. Especially after the ump was the one that confronted Sheffield and could have just ignored it and just let the league fine Sheffield for throwing his helmet.

Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. I don't personally view it that way, having seen the replay of Sheffield getting up in the face of the ump, etc. A question though, would it be ok had Sheff physically shoved the ump, becuase the league recognizes it's the wrong call (did they even? If so, I missed it, though I do agree he was safe). Whether or not they accept it was a wrong call, the action warrants the penalty. Period.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:00 pm

What is the basis for Sheffield's suspension? Throwing his helmet or arguing with the umpire?

You don't get thrown out of the game for slamming your helmet down. A fine? Yes, not ejection. The ump acted very hastily, and that's why Sheffield snapped. All he did was yell at the ump, he didn't put a finger on him. 2 games is ridiculous.

Kline did balk, and while 4 games may be a little excessive, I do believe he bumped the ump, which has always been basis for a suspension.

I don't understand why Sheff was suspended, AND ejected.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:04 pm

nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:The ump was the one confronting Sheffield. He got right in his face and threw him out immediately after making the wrong call.

And ns.. I asked you politely to say something useful on the topic and you attack me for it? I said nothing sarcastic or irrelevant to the topic like you did, so don't accuse me of the garbage you pulled.

Actually no, you labeled me as someone who only writes negative and/or sarcastic things which is simply not true

i dont know if ive ever seen a comment about the yankees from you that was neither negative or sarcastic.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:05 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:What is the basis for Sheffield's suspension? Throwing his helmet or arguing with the umpire?

You don't get thrown out of the game for slamming your helmet down. A fine? Yes, not ejection. The ump acted very hastily, and that's why Sheffield snapped. All he did was yell at the ump, he didn't put a finger on him. 2 games is ridiculous.

Kline did balk, and while 4 games may be a little excessive, I do believe he bumped the ump, which has always been basis for a suspension.

So your beef is that he was ejected, not suspended... That's fine. But saying his actions didn't warrant a suspension doesn't carry much water, in my eyes.

His reasoning behind snapping is irrelevant. When you react the way he did, you get suspended, and 2 games isn't excessive, in my opinion.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:06 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
nsulham wrote:

Actually no, you labeled me as someone who only writes negative and/or sarcastic things which is simply not true

i dont know if ive ever seen a comment about the yankees from you that was neither negative or sarcastic.

And you the exact same for the Red Sox. You have no room to speak.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:08 pm

nsulham wrote:

Actually no, you labeled me as someone who only writes negative and/or sarcastic things which is simply not true. Just because I made one remark in this thread doesn't mean I ALWAYS do it, so don't go saying "could you please for once say something relevant."

Don't make me waste my time to look them up and show you. You've been doing it constantly in threads relating to the Yankees of late (hell, the tough in cheek emoticon is used in nearly all of them) and I'd like to kindly ask you to refrain from making sarcastic or irrelevant comments in these threads. Thank you for understanding. That's all.

On topic, had Sheffield touched the ump this would make sense but he did no such thing. There is no reason to suspend a player for merely arguing with an ump, especially when its now obvious that the ump was wrong.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:What is the basis for Sheffield's suspension? Throwing his helmet or arguing with the umpire?

So your beef is that he was ejected, not suspended... That's fine. But saying his actions didn't warrant a suspension doesn't carry much water, in my eyes.

His reasoning behind snapping is irrelevant. When you react the way he did, you get suspended, and 2 games isn't excessive, in my opinion.

But that's simply untrue. You don't normally get suspended for merely arguing a call. It's done all the time and this one was nothing special and does not deserve a suspension in the slightest bit.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:10 pm

nsulham wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
nsulham wrote:

And you the exact same for the Red Sox. You have no room to speak.

Good thing you posted in this thread. Without your posts we would only have relevant posts to the topic.
:-t :-t
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:11 pm

blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:

Don't make me waste my time to look them up and show you. You've been doing it constantly in threads relating to the Yankees of late (hell, the tough in cheek emoticon is used in nearly all of them) and I'd like to kindly ask you to refrain from making sarcastic or irrelevant comments in these threads. Thank you for understanding. That's all.

Are you kidding me here? Do you not remember all the "bad for the Sox...good for the Yankees" smarmy posts you've made?

You're not exempt from any criticism yourself you know.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers