Return to Baseball Leftovers

My keeper dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mattusd » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:39 pm

yeah... I'm not an eli marrero fan. He has the ugliest swing in baseball, I still can't figure out how he gets hits when he sends his back leg flying out (that was one of the first things I was told NOT to do in little league and high school).

I agree though, if kendall plays like 140 games, i look for .290 10hr 55rbi and 15-20 sb's.

i'll take that.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby poop » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:43 pm

Keep Kendall
the grass is always greener on the other side!
DO IT,
poop
poop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -14)

Postby Hbj79 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:47 pm

The avg. I give you but Marrero will have more power (18hr's last year), around the same steals (14 last year), more RBI (66 last year). He will get into the linup often and will produce. I have seen someone post that he fell apart in the second half but while he did slip for a couple months he had an awesome sept. I'm not saying take Marrero before Kendall (Kendall will score more runs and is a bit safer) but considering you can get Marrero atleast 5 to six rounds later than Kendall he is a better fantasy choice.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:49 pm

hbj..

I'd pick Javy over Eli. I put them in the same class.

but then again...I don't know much about catchers. I like Pudge or Piazza or I just get what's left at the end.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mattusd » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:53 pm

I can't argue w/ the numbers he put up last year, but I'm a guy who is big on mechanics, and since Marrero looks horrible at the plate, I just don't think he's a safe bet. Yes, he had a good year, but I can almost guarantee he doesn't repeat it. the only thing that may go up is his steals since he'll probably be less reluctant to run after some moderate success last year, but the power numbers and rbi's won't come close, he just doesn't have the type of swing that can make adjustments.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hbj79 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:00 pm

Trevisc, what is up with you and Javy. The guy hit .233 last year and although he might bounce back he is a big risk to be injured. Also Atlanta is goig to give Estrada every chance to suceed. However, I do agree that it you don't get one of Pudge or Piazza just blow off catcher until the end.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:06 pm

I watch about 75% of the braves games and I just keep flashing back to those stats of 1998:
106 rbis
34 homers
.284 avg

so every year I pick him and almost every year he disappoints me. It's a love/hate thing. If estrada gets the nod over javy i'll pick him up!

:-)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Hbj79 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:08 pm

I guess that's ok. To be fair all he has to do is get back to his numbers of 2001 in order to be a slightly above avg. fantasy catcher.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fumbler » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:11 pm

I would beg to differ on Marrero. I think he'll at least put up some similar numbers. Batting in that lineup with Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, etc. he's going to get some good pitches to hit, as well as have plenty of opportunities to drive in runs.

The only thing that scares me with him is playing time. If Drew can ever stay healthy then Marrero will not play very often.

Personally, i like Pettite out of all the ones you mentioned. He sometimes gives up way too many hits, but can be a pretty dominant lefty at times. Decent strike out numbers, gets some complete games, and is most likely going to win quite a few games playing for the Yanks. But this is all just my humble opionon. :-)
Fumbler

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Kendall

Postby timstlguru » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:06 pm

I'd prefer to get a bum catcher at the end of my draft which Kendall is close to becoming.Marrero will put up nice numbers if he gets the PT.
timstlguru
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers