Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nick Johnson

Postby B.J.H 17 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:35 pm

What are your takes on Johnson numbers this year. Is he for real or a flash in the pan
B.J.H 17

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jnr98 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:51 pm

He's an honest talent, but he has not quite been given the time to develop, I think. This year, he should get most of the AB's as DH, with a chance of losing some AB's to Zeile, or whomever the Yanks want to show off at DH.

I like him, just very late.
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fvilla18 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:30 am

He's a yankee. with their lineup everyone seems to produce decent to good numbers.
[b]A wise classmate once said:[/b]
"If you can't impress them with your intellect,
baffle them with your"
fvilla18
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:11 pm

just a side note.. Giambi has a no-trade clause. He's there until he's ready to leave. Johnson is decent but not as good as some DH's out there.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:45 pm

First, Giambi isn't going anywhere. Second, Nick Johnson may. The Yankees were willing to trade him to the Expos for a fat one year rental when they already had an arsenal of starting pitchers.
I don't believe that they believe in Johnson as much as they say. Remember a few years ago when they were touting D'Angelo Jiminez as a "five-tool prospect?" He was pried away in the Hitchcock deal and has since been mediocre. The point I'm making is that I think that Johnson is overhyped and I would be surprised if he ended up being more than an average contact hitter. The Yankees don't like giving up their real talent so easily.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Return to Baseball Leftovers