Return to Baseball Leftovers

Now that's the Brian Roberts I remember.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

beer beer beer beer barbq barbq barbq

Postby Frances The Mute » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:05 pm

no kidding,

i always resist calling people here dorks or losers cause come on, fantasybaseball is basically dungeons and dragons for sports fans and i like it as much as the next guy here. but to just write a post attacking someone personally without even an opinion on the subject, pretty sad waste of time in my opinion -- to say the least.

This is how every roberts posts ends, with B-Rob jacking a dong and silencing the johnny come lately critics leaving them with nothing but name-calling and the like.

I got better stuff to do, I'm going to a barbeque. Later.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: not a drop of anti-brob glory fascism will be go untested

Postby dorje3 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:48 am

Half Massed wrote:
Frances The Mute wrote:still ignorant to categorically dismiss that Roberts may be a top 5 2nd basemen for years to come.

there's a difference between catagorical dismissal and doubt...

Good stuff.
And good stuff Francis. Way to stand up for something or someone you believe in.
Brian Roberts.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:42 am

West wrote:What irks me here is that I start a thread attempting to have an intelligent discussion over what kind of second half numbers Roberts will produce, and it gets polluted by a whole bunch of idiotic posts by Roberts fanatics who feel they've been wronged when someone suggests that Roberts might actually underperform in the second half. Honestly, all I was looking for was some second half predictions. What I got was a whole load of self righteous BS from Frances about how "everyone has hated on Brob in the past". PLEASE. I predicted Roberts to have 5 home runs and 30 RBI after the break, and I'll eat those words if I have to. I was just interested in what other people thought. Forgive me if I look at Roberts' 12 career home runs (before 2005) and don't believe that this 5' 9" 150 pound second basemen can keep it up.
Also, I wish that the "declaring him dead" line can be canned. No one is declaring him dead. I am one of those who believes his power surge will cease in the second half. He'll still continue to rack up XBH, runs and SB's at a great rate and be a top 5 2B. I just don't believe he'll hit as many home runs. Stop overstating the argument just to serve your cause.

No one expects the HRs. Those are just a nice bonus to the runs, steals, and BA. Hes also got good RBIs for 2B. Hes sort of like Mike Young last year, except with a few less RBI and HR, and more steals.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:48 am

Frances, please be quiet, you make Brian Roberts owners look bad.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:28 pm

How can he keep up with his old numbers???

I remember when Burrell was number 1 and the guy who had him owuldn't trade him...he got offered Tex for him....HAHA he rejected it
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -460)

take it to the bank, thank me later

Postby Frances The Mute » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:31 pm

B-Robs smacking jacks in late june. Its now ok to expect the power to continue. Lots of reasons why its not outrageous, plenty of posts to read about those legit reasons.

yada yada yada he's just not the same player as last year, its so very obvious. Did many people go into the season expecting this power? Frankly not, but june 25 +healthy B-Rob jacking hrs = no reason to not expect more of the same. Its obviously more than a fluke hot streak, how can anyone debate that at this point?

Only the most very stubborn B-Rob doubters are going to wait the entire year to admit that he can keep it up. But for the more reasonable folks here, at what point is the new Brian Roberts for real? like when do you buy into the 30/30 hype? Its nearly July and the stats speak for themselves.

Just curious.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby proninja » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:42 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Frances, please be quiet, you make Brian Roberts owners look bad.

The funny thing is that I'm a Brian Roberts owner. . .I sure hope Frances the un-mute is right.
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: take it to the bank, thank me later

Postby The Big Papi » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:B-Robs smacking jacks in late june. Its now ok to expect the power to continue. Lots of reasons why its not outrageous, plenty of posts to read about those legit reasons.

yada yada yada he's just not the same player as last year, its so very obvious. Did many people go into the season expecting this power? Frankly not, but june 25 +healthy B-Rob jacking hrs = no reason to not expect more of the same. Its obviously more than a fluke hot streak, how can anyone debate that at this point?

Only the most very stubborn B-Rob doubters are going to wait the entire year to admit that he can keep it up. But for the more reasonable folks here, at what point is the new Brian Roberts for real? like when do you buy into the 30/30 hype? Its nearly July and the stats speak for themselves.

Just curious.

You keep saying he is "jacking HRs in June", he had 1 HR and that was on Friday. I realize he was injured, but he did play quite a few games, and he hit 1 bomb, so to say he is jacking HRs is false.

When will I buy into the 30/30 hype? When he actually shows some consistent power. 8 of his homers came in April when you could reason he caught everyone off guard, and pitchers didn't know what to do with him since the O's had such a great hitting lineup.

He is a very streaky hitter, but when he does hit one, you praise it like it's such a big deal, ignoring the fact that he went on a long cold streak without hitting one out of the park before that homer. If he shows that he can consistently hit them out, then yea i'll believe it, but until then I see 20 homers AT MOST, even that might be streching it IMO.

Everybody knew the runs/steals would be there, don't even try and say anyone saw the power coming based off age/contacts/etc... b/c that's just a flat out lie. What happens if he DOES NOT reach 30/30 like you think he will? You know there is just AS good, if not greater possibility of that happening.

I have Brian Roberts on one of my teams, and I drafted him for steals, and am very lucky that I have got to enjoy his performance. If he does keep adding to his home run totals, good for him, but if you can't understand why so many people "doubt" the 30/30 potential, you need to take a unbiased look at all there facts and realize that they have a right to there opinion and have good reasoning to back it up. Yes you have good reasoning as well why the home runs will continue, but there are counterpoints to that as well, no one was out to get you, so you don't have to defent Roberts everytime someone says something about him lol.
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

like, you know....

Postby Frances The Mute » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:57 pm

like, i don't think people really read my posts that carefully.

Yes he hit a cold spell when he was injured. !+)

He'd be even better if he could hit home runs on the DL, but like you know what I'm getting at here. ( but go ahead and bring up his slump when he was injured. brilliance)

This thread was started when Roberts was coming off injury, a day or two later he's stealing bases and hitting doubles and HRs -- he's looking healthy again and he's doing the same thing as when he was healthy BEFORE his two injuries that sidelined and impaired his stud abilities its safe to say.

So I'm curious, when are people going to buy into the 30/30 hype? Its the end of June and hes jacking meatballs. Is it just too difficult to say "yes"?

At what point do I get all the accolades?
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:11 pm

Roberts is a good player, and has turned the corner. He's at a good age, and his 50+ doubles last year are turning into some hrs. However the comment made that (anyone believing in the regress to the mean crap) is a bit off. Roberts is hitting .357 in 258 abs, with maybe 300 abs left. Roberts will regress some from that. I would be surprised if with at least 500 abs, he's over .330. With 67% of his hrs in April, 30 hrs seems a bit much. 20-22 sounds a bit closer.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers