Return to Baseball Leftovers

Now that's the Brian Roberts I remember.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gws226 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:51 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Frances The Mute wrote:.280? what the hell makes you think he's going to hit 280 mwhen hes hitting .360 all year long? He's been through injuries this month so what give the guy a break.

The contact lenses are here to stay and B-Rob will be a bad boy all year with them. Geez, wait til he gets a healthy week or two OR hits under .350 BEFORE you report his demise. OK?

Good lord, sorry you didn't have the foresight to draft the dude.

.360? what the hell makes you think he's going to hit .360 when he's hit around .280 his entire career prior to 2005? he went through a hot streak early on; give me a break!

the contact lenses are being used by other players as well and i havn't seen bret boone hitting near .400 all year with them. Geez, wait til he regresses to his career norms in the coming month or two OR puts up at least a year of huge power numbers BEFORE you report his asention to the elite. OK?

good lord, sorry you didn't have the foresight to trade him before people realize that he's not soriano with a better average.

You do understand that he would have to hit 62 of 293 (.211) the rest of the way for his average to fall to .280 for the season.

If he bats his "career" avg (which I don't understand how you can call 1 season a career) the rest of the way he's still a .320 player.

Yea, for those of you that were able to land Santana's and Abreau's for him a month back, yes he was a great sell high candiate. For those of us that don't play in Yahoo public leagues he was & still is a great hold. I drafted him in rounds 14-16 in all my H2H leagues and if he goes .320 20HR 120R 100RBI 35SB is still is one of the biggest steals of anyones draft.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby futanto » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:06 pm

Ichiro went in the second round in most drafts because of his cerca .340 average and steals as an outfielder... an overstocked position.

Roberts is hitting 356, on pace for more runs, steals, and much more RBI than ichiro last year at the end, and he already has more HR... all of this at second base!

No one should complain about B-rob's numbers this year or project gloom for him, while he's in that line up.

As an Ichiro owner, I would take him any day!
futanto
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby futanto » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 pm

BR homerun :-°
futanto
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

oowoooga its gone baaabbbby!

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:07 pm

Inning Summary | 1 run 1 hit 0 errors
L Matos fouled out to first.
B Roberts homered to right.
Start of Inning

(chuckle)

What do you know, Roberts is finally healthy after recovering from his injuries and hes hitting doubles stealing bases and smacking Dongers yaaaaaard.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby titanut » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:31 pm

Sometimes your memory should fail you. See Marcus Giles, B Roberts
and Giles have a lot in common. Wish I had both, but, I'll take Roberts
on one team, lot cheaper than Giles.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby West » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:10 pm

Perhaps I jumped the gun on Robert's slump. It is a long season though. Second half should be interesting...
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby rainman23 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:55 pm

You do understand that he would have to hit 62 of 293 (.211) the rest of the way for his average to fall to .280 for the season.

If he bats his "career" avg (which I don't understand how you can call 1 season a career) the rest of the way he's still a .320 player.

Yea, for those of you that were able to land Santana's and Abreau's for him a month back, yes he was a great sell high candiate. For those of us that don't play in Yahoo public leagues he was & still is a great hold. I drafted him in rounds 14-16 in all my H2H leagues and if he goes .320 20HR 120R 100RBI 35SB is still is one of the biggest steals of anyones draft.

I think the person who mentioned .280 was giving his projections for the second half.

Man, these discussions sure become religious issues. I targeted Roberts in my draft because I knew he would be a bargain basement source of SB's. And that in the dying rounds of the draft I could get somebody who had a chance to be one of the best at a weak position. But in no way was I thinking lead league batting average, double digit home runs. And neither was anybody else. Brian Roberts is perhaps the simplest story of this fantasy season -- those of us who drafted him have been rewarded many times over for a marginally smart move. That debates continue to rage over him here is pretty silly.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:19 pm

Well, he got a HR tonight. Guess it was a little too early to declare him dead?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:30 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Well, he got a HR tonight. Guess it was a little too early to declare him dead?

Guess so.

I think B-rob is back. On second thought he's always been here. He's only been forgotten because he's not hitting anymore homeruns. I mean look at the AVG, SB, and Runs. The HR and RBI are a plus, although I think they are going to come in bunches.

Face it, this guy rocks. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)

shame----(wags finger)

Postby Frances The Mute » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:58 am

A whole lot of people have been walking around with egg on their face this year cause they kept saying how Roberts couldn't possibly perform like he's been -- basically since week 2....Now I understood the skepticism early on, but after the first month and a half people still stuck with their lame "regress to the mean" garbage.

lot of statheads here have stubornly rejected the notion of a guy having a great breakout year, even when all the tools were sitting on the table (27 yrs old, 3rd year in th eleague, league leading doubles last year, gruesome lineup, offseason maniacal training, creatine, Supercool spaceage contact lenses......)

So every week people are so desperate to declare his regression that as soon as he gets an injury a week later its "See i told you he couldn't keep it up". Truly pathetic.

That homer last night was for ya'll.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers