Return to Baseball Leftovers

catchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

catchers

Postby baseball2003 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:09 pm

Hi folks, new here but have been reading posts for about a week. Great site my compliments to the makers of this forum and the moderators. Anyways down to business.

Will Pinella help Toby Hall improve this year. With that idiot of a manager last year hindering his progress i'm hoping Sweet Lou will let him play and see what he can do. Any thoughts? Also any thoughts on Eli Marrero. Will he put up similar numbers, or get a little better?
baseball2003

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Hbj79 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:34 am

Marrerro is the forth best fantasy catcher in baseball. Don't take him that high though let others take LoDuca, Kendall, and Lieberthal and grab Marrerro late. I like Hall alot he should be very good this year. Although his numbers weere poor last year that was do to a bad first half. Later in the year he came on really strong. I place him in the group with the 4 mentioned above so just take which ever is your preference. BY the way you should sign in.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yeyo44 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:22 am

I wouldn't say marrero is the 4th best fantasy catcher.

1.Piazza
2. Posada
3. La Duca
4. Kendall
5. AJ PSKI (Twins, can't spell it)
6. Liberthal
7. Marrero

Thats about right, but I do agree don't worry about getting one of the top 4. Get a good IF and OF, or Pitchers first, worry about catcher later on.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:47 am

why does everyone forget about Javy?

no respect
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:19 am

Marrero will probally play full time until Drew comes back sometime after May. And if you have Javy in your top 10 catchers you have a problem.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:23 am

my problem is that i'm a DIE HARD BRAVES FAN!!!!!

so I like players that I get to watch on TV! Sue me!

haha

}:-)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:02 am

I'd be careful about Marrero. He had an amazing start last year in spot roles, and eventually the Cards ended up finding places for him to start everyday. At which point he tanked. If you remove the first month of last season, he didn't have such a great year.

If he plays a full season like the first month of last year, he'll be a top 3 catcher. If he plays a full season like the rest of last year, he'll be barely worth starting even in an NL-only league.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby baseball2003 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:45 pm

Hmmm. Mostly positive for Marerro with one well thought out watch out. Would still like to hear more comments on Hall though. I expect a good season from him and would rank him right in the second tier of catchers from the list. As for Javy lets see a solid healthy year from him before I go near him for the price he will likely get.
baseball2003

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:03 pm

I think Hall should indeed improve this season, although a slow improvement seems more likely than an instant breakout. He still needs to improve his judgment at the plate, and even though he looked better in that aspect late last season, craftier pitchers will still be able to exploit this weakness, at least initially. Also, keep in mind that his playing time isn't guaranteed. I'd love to have him as a fantasy backup, but I'd be worried about relying on him as a starter.

The same holds true for Marrero: nice upside, but somewhat risky. I think we'll see a bit of an improvement, but nothing significant. His steals are a nice bonus, as is his of-eligibility. If he could raise his average a bit, he'd be huge. One thing that shouldn't change this season is his streakiness: he'll play amazing ball one week and drop off the face of the earth the next...

(Thanks for the kudos, by the way! :-) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby BasesDrunk » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:14 pm

josh phelps
BasesDrunk
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers