Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy

Postby guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:40 pm

This will be my leagues fourth yr together and it's H2H. We have 5-6 owners who stream Sp's religiously.They just takemfour Sp's at the end of the draft to fill the roster until opening day when the probables are announce. I have tried 3 different strategies.. Stream like the others(couldnt get the good SP's), take nine stud Sp's(wasnt able to get enough hitting) and draft my h2h team like it was roto( lets just say it was a rough yr)....nothing has worked. I need some opinions on a strategy i could use to counteract their streaming. I've thought about taking alot of offense at first then take closers and relievers for my staff. what do you guys think?? any good plans??

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:41 am

A good draft has many factors in it. You have to see how the flow of the draft is going and counter balance it. I don't understand though if you are getting Stud SP and closers then you should have the 5 pitching catagories locked up (if they take hitting). Then trade off one of your studs for a hitter.

I try to favor hitters too but I've been known to go after elite closers early. The bottom line is that I don't believe you win a league at the draft. It's a good start but you must keep an eye out everyday on how your guys are performing and then trade/drop/sit/start, etc depending on the cirumstances. I've drafted terrible teams before and ended up in the top 3. I've won a few leagues too just by making that one phat trade that made me a well-rounded team. Bottom line is to keep trying! Don't give up!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby cwebb » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:24 am

SPs always are quite easy to find at the waiver wire, so drafting 9 stud SPs isn't as good as drafting great hitters, but try to get a good hitting team as well as some starters you can play day in and day out, they should give you an advantage over "streaming" owners...
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:55 pm

What exactly is your league's scoring? Daily or weekly roster changes? Innings cap? H2H draft strategies can be all over the board, depending on how the league is set up...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:27 pm

10 Team h2h, daily roster moves, no cap on innings pitched. the streamers pick up four-five Sp's everyday and carry 4-5 cp's/rp's

Friendliness: %

A Story...

Postby Ballwreckers » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:43 am

Last season I was in an ESPN MVP League and I made it all the way to the finals in my 5x5 12 team H2H league. Two weeks I went head on with the best team in my league(two wins ahead of me in the league) and it came down to the last day of the season to see who was going to win. I had a good solid pitching staff and a great batting line up while he a good hitting line up with a buch of relievers and pitchers that he would pick up and throw back on waivers. Basically, the otherteam won because he pickup the scrubs on the daily basis(I was doing the same, but I could only switch off 3 guys while he could switch off 6 pitchers)We actually end up tied for that finals..but because he had the better record he won. Anyway..the moral of the story is that u may want to have more releivers and batters and try to pick up SP off waivers, but mare sure you pick at least two ligit starts if you go that route. I would say pick up 4 pitchers in the first ten rounds.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -7)

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:05 am

that has been my exact strategy and believe me it works. It's just a LOT of work.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

sp streaming

Postby lab_rats » Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:35 pm

first - what exactly does our illustrious guest mean by "streaming Sps religously?

second - drafting 8 or 9 stud SPs does not mean you will not obtain hitters. for example, a few years back I took 8 pitchers in the 1st 10 rounds and then turned around and traded a few for batters like Giambi in the preseason (while the other owners were panicked that they lacked good SPs)

third - draft strategy is simple: come up with a strategy that will win in your league and draft/trade/pick the waiver wire to fit that strategy (in our league a pitching loaded team often fares well)
lab_rats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby poop » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:59 pm

Yes- draft Hitting and follow what the other two post have said..and let the starting pitching fall into your lap. over the last few years there have been plenty of pitchers off the WW to pick-up the slack, and if your dominate in hitting compared to the other teams.... Well then your on your way..... you start steam'n-the-hitting
you can always trade them away, also........
DO IT,
poop
poop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers