Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derrek Lee: Keep or Sell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Derrek Lee: Keep or Sell?

Postby Ballwreckers » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:58 am

Its hard to believe that he can keep this pace up forever, but after seeing him play lastnight onESPN, the man is in a Barry Bonds kind of zone. I think this will be a career year for him and even maintain MVP stastus, so I have to say he is a keeper. What does everyone else think?
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:02 am

It would depend on who you can get for him.
I wouldn't really try to trade him, but if someone wants to pay a lot for him, then I would do it. I don't think he'll be this good, but he is an excellent player.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:05 am

With this start its hard for me to see him posting less than a 320 avg 35 HR, 110 RBI, 105 RBI and 20 SB.

The numbers will come down, but to me, he's worth holding onto unless a great offer is made to you.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby baseballnewb » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:06 am

If you play H2H sell for sure, if you play Roto then he may be worth keeping.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:08 am

He's on pace to finish with god-like numbers:

.389 134 R 53 HR 156 RBI 28 SB

It's very hard to believe that he will get these numbers, but I do think he'll have his best season (which shouldn't be that hard)

best one season total in each cat

.282 95 R 32 HR 98 RBI 21 SB

I don't think his value can get any higher, he's bound to drop off (at least a little) but if you can't get a great deal for him I would hold on to him.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:16 am

Yeah, probably best to hold on and ride it out, he's bound to finish with good numbers even if his average is likely to drop and K's to rise.

Still, if you see a need in your roster, I bet you could sell high and get an admirable 1B replacement (Morneau, Huff, maybe Delgado) plus a solid other position. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to spread the wealth.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:21 am

Would you sell high on Pujols? That's the category that D. Lee is in right now. Maybe not exactly the smae value as Pujols but not far off!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Postby Box » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:29 am

reznorsboy wrote:Would you sell high on Pujols? That's the category that D. Lee is in right now. Maybe not exactly the smae value as Pujols but not far off!

I think the difference is that Lee has never put up these kind of first half numbers in his career. He's 30. Pujols has yet to reach his ceiling yet and is arguably the best hitter in the game at 25 years old.

As for the original post, I'd sell if someone wants to break the bank for him, but otherwise, he'll continue to be a top 5 1B for the rest of the year so there's no real harm in either option.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -15)

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:51 am

yeah, keep him unless the world is offered to you. just imagine when aram, walker, and dubois all start hitting well. this guy will get nothing but fat pitches to swing at :-o !
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby rainman23 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:17 pm

Like everybody else said. I wouldn't be looking to shop him, but if someone makes you an offer you can't refuse... As hot as he is, he's not Albert Pujols, and if anyone makes you a Pujols-type offer, you should jump all over it.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers