Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where are all the Crawford Haters now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat May 28, 2005 3:50 pm

"Keeper leagues are a totally different story, but in a redraft league, you have to question anyone who picked Crawford top-25 this year."

I'll give you that he's a tougher to justify in a re-draft league as a top-25 pick. But even in a re-draft roto league, a guy his age with his speed and athletic ability has some monster potential. According to espn's "2004 player rater" he finished with top-30 points in 2004. I'd easily pay top-25 money for a guy who finished top-30 at age 23. Prior to the start of this season, I'd have a hard time naming 25 players I'd draft ahead of him in a re-draft roto league.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat May 28, 2005 3:52 pm

Crawford is still overrated. He's not a first rounder as most leagues and experts portryed him as.

I think he's a solid 3rd rounder but there is no way anyone could've drafted him that late in any league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby rainman23 » Sat May 28, 2005 4:07 pm

First of all, we all ought to lay off of that "hater" word. For the most part it's just disagreement over a player's talent. Other than the odd provocative player (e.g., Bonds) or team (e.g., Yankees) most of us don't really have an emotional stake in these discussions.

Second, I had Crawford on my team last year, and I loved the guy. I'd take him on my team every year. But I was stunned when draft season arrived to see so many services and "experts" rating him as a 1rst round choice. The guy has one special skill. Yes, it's nice to grab that skill with more upside than a Podsednik or Pierre might give you, but it still doesn't make somebody a first round choice. The fact that Crawford was slumping wasn't what made him less than a 1rst rounder. He's an absolutely terrific talent that nobody should have rated that high.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Frances The Mute » Sat May 28, 2005 4:18 pm

he's no Brian Roberts.

Keep your bragging posts in the forum noone goes to and don't use the word haters. Call them reasonable skeptics who are entitiled to their opinion.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Irish » Sat May 28, 2005 4:28 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:he's no Brian Roberts.

Keep your bragging posts in the forum noone goes to and don't use the word haters. Call them reasonable skeptics who are entitiled to their opinion.

Simmer down Francis.....

SIMMER DOWN NA!

:-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby davidmarver » Sat May 28, 2005 4:29 pm

Is this coming from the guy who called everyone else Brian Roberts haters? :-?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat May 28, 2005 4:45 pm

davidmarver wrote:

Is this coming from the guy who called everyone else Brian Roberts haters? :-?

That's the one!
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby West » Sat May 28, 2005 5:41 pm

Man, Frances, is Brian Roberts all that you talk about? This seems like an unhealthy obsession.
I've got to agree with Yoda on this one. Crawford would be a great 3rd rounder but you never would have got him there in this year's draft. Once he settles into a solid spot in the lineup, and Huff's bat comes around, he'll be producing good numbers. Probably not good enough to earn his draft position though.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sat May 28, 2005 5:52 pm

lol, I got crawford in the third round.

Too bad I got Helton in the 2nd... :~(
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby brandnew » Sat May 28, 2005 6:00 pm

Practice what you preach buddy.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers