Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sabremetric Books

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sabremetric Books

Postby RynMan » Tue May 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Hey guys, just wondering what books are a good read on the theories behind sabremetrics? I have read moneyball and it touched a little on some of James' theories and was wondering what other kinds of books are out there that talk about statistical strategies and probability? The New Bill James Historical Abstract a good book? Any suggestions are appreciated!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue May 24, 2005 6:16 pm

If you just want to get your feet wet then reading websites like some of these are an excellent source. James's Abstracts (including the Historical) or any of the Palmer Total Baseball books are great starts.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby RynMan » Tue May 24, 2005 7:46 pm

Thanks Tavish!
Yeah Im a BP subscriber, and just looking at reading some books. How about the book "Curveball"? Isnt that about probability and related topics?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Tue May 24, 2005 9:46 pm

RynMan wrote:Thanks Tavish!
Yeah Im a BP subscriber, and just looking at reading some books. How about the book "Curveball"? Isnt that about probability and related topics?

I honestly didn't make it all the way through Curveball. It really sounded intriguing, but it read more like a book aimed towards junior high school math classes. Nothing wrong with that really and it may have gotten more indepth as it went on. But it was full of typos and not interesting enough for me to finish.

If you haven't read The Numbers Game, I definitely suggest that, although its not really a probability disection, it is a really great look at how the numbers of baseball came to be. A great history lesson as well as some tactics thrown in.

For a really indepth strategy book get "The Book on the Book" by Ferber. It probably has everything you are looking for. Everything from game tatic disections to using payroll wisely. Its a better version of Moneyball (not nearly as much Beane-is-God butt-kissing going on in the book).
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby RynMan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:52 am

Just wanted to bump this thread if anyone else has read any good books.

Tavish: The reason I couldn't find The Book on the Book was because the author's name is actually Felber - not Ferber.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:23 am

"The Diamond Mind," by Craig Wright and Tom House is one I've heard of but haven't read.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby RynMan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:47 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:"The Diamond Mind," by Craig Wright and Tom House is one I've heard of but haven't read.

I cant find it on amazon.com.....any links?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby so0perspam » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:20 am

RynMan wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:"The Diamond Mind," by Craig Wright and Tom House is one I've heard of but haven't read.

I cant find it on amazon.com.....any links?

This may be the one he was referring to. :-?
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:51 am

I just picked up the New Historical Baseball Abstract and I'm loving it. There's a ton of interesting information about baseball history, and James applies sabermetric principles to historical analysis. There are some great essays in the book too.

I especially like the information about the Negro Leagues...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:02 pm

RynMan wrote:Just wanted to bump this thread if anyone else has read any good books.

Tavish: The reason I couldn't find The Book on the Book was because the author's name is actually Felber - not Ferber.

Ain't that a kick in the pants. Ferber Felber, Teixeira Tiexiera, close enough. ;-D

Were you finally able to track it down and read any?
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers