Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dusty Baker, hopefully is fired! HORRIBLE!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:56 pm

LaTroy sucks as a closer...he doesn't have the composure necessary to do the job.

I think LaTroy will do fairly well in SF as long as they don't try to get him to close. If they do that then all bets are off.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 234)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby washubeek » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:33 am

Why is Dusty putting Dempster in in a non save situation.

He pitched monday and tuesday and we don't have a day off for like a week.

I see no need for this.
washubeek
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:00 am

RynMan wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:See, that's the difference between racists and non-racists.

Racists think LaTroy Hawkins sucks because he's black.
Non-racists think LaTroy Hawkins sucks because he sucks.

What sucks is that people think Latroy sucks. He doesn't suck. He will be great in San Fran.

Really? His performance this season has said otherwise. Of course, you are the one suggesting trading Zambrano because you THINK he'll get injured. Ok. You forgot to slip some pro-As talk in there though, like trading him for Chavez, Harden, or Kendall. :-b
Oh, and Wrveres, the only Amber Alerts I've seen in this area have been for minority children, but thats usually because one of the parents tries to seize custody, not kidnappings. No one cares about custody seizures. Kidnappings and murder get big ratings.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:54 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Really? His performance this season has said otherwise.
As a closer? Let's do a quick rundown.

Game 1 blown save to Mil. 3 Runs in the 9th.
Then 3 saves in a row. Maybe he can get it done this season.
Blown save to Pitt. 2 Runs in the 9th.
Tie game at Cinn. Scoreless top of the 9th. Gets the W.
Save #4 at Houston.
Tie game against Mil gives up 1 run the bottom of the 9th. Saddled with the loss.
Blown save vs. Philly. 2 runs in the 9th. I think this is the one that broke the camel's back.

So in closer situations this year Hawkins is 1-1 with 4 saves and 3 blown saves. And it isn't just this year. Hawkins is a great middle reliever but he has some sort of mental block when it comes to closing. He has had 3 chances at closing now (1 with the Twins and 2 with the Cubs) and he can't get it done.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -953)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:34 pm

nuggets wrote:
People need to separate what Dusty can effect and control from what he can't. Most of the reasons people hate on him are due to things he really can't effect much.

sooo true! ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby RynMan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:21 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
RynMan wrote:
What sucks is that people think Latroy sucks. He doesn't suck. He will be great in San Fran.

Really? His performance this season has said otherwise.

He had a 3.32 ERA in Chicago this year......what the hell is wrong with that? Nice work.

Of course, you are the one suggesting trading Zambrano because you THINK he'll get injured.

Huh? Ohhhhh, so let me get this str8....you believe its ok for him to throw 120-130 pitches on the back of elbow inflammation. And yeah, I do think he will get injured if he keeps throwing riduclously high pitch counts....not to mention at the peak injury age for pitchers.

Ok. You forgot to slip some pro-As talk in there though, like trading him for Chavez, Harden, or Kendall. :-b

Now you are REALLY starting to sound like a 16 year old. But good to see you didn't miss another chance to mention the A's. We all know how much you dislike them, and like to get all over them.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:22 am

wrveres wrote:When was the last time you saw an Amber Alert for a minority child?
Its always the little blonde hair blue eyed girl who gets the national exposure. Apparently minority children don't get kidnapped. And the only reason they show that stuff, is it is what the "polls" say the sheep watch.

:-t

Not sure how it's relevant in the least to this discussion, but I can't remember the last Amber Alert I saw that involved a little white girl. They've all been hispanic or black. I'd use the term minorities to describe the children on the alerts I've seen, but whites are in the minority in Ft. Worth now, so that wouldn't be accurate.

Anyway, enough of this foolishness and back to the actual discussion of Dusty Baker and the job he does........

When you've got a couple of starters with arm injury issues, I don't see the benefit of letting them throw until they can't throw anymore. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Obviously Prior getting hit by a comebacker was just one of those fluky things, but Wood's pitch count has been huge every year. Where is he now? Sitting on the DL. Zambrano's started having some arm issues, yet he's still out there throwing until he can't throw anymore. I'm really failing to see the logic behind the high pitch counts........

I know the bullpen for the Cubs is weak, but at what point do you decide the pitcher's health vs. winning? I'm obviously not a major league manager and I certainly would not want Dusty's job. Everyone would be irritated with me for taking Wood/Prior out too soon and taking Zam out soon now that he's having arm issues. Winning now is not as important as my top starting 3's futures with the team. If we lose this year, so be it. I want my guys healthy since they are all top notch starters. We're not talking about an easily replaced #5 starter, or even a #4 starter, we're talking about 3 very solid and very good pitchers. Running them out there and letting them wear themselves out, while knowing that their arms are not 100%, just really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Can any of the Dusty defenders explain the advantage of letting a top flight starter with arm issues throw 120+ pitches on a regular basis? Other than winning now and not caring at all about the team's future (Prior, Wood, Zam are not easily replaced, and are what the team is based around), I really don't see a reason to do it. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Oh, and I'd bet if this were Hudson/Mulder/Zito (when they were all A's), instead of Prior/Wood/Zambrano, the outcry would be just as bad if they were treated the way Prior/Wood/Zam have been treated.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:38 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Really? His performance this season has said otherwise.
As a closer? Let's do a quick rundown.

Game 1 blown save to Mil. 3 Runs in the 9th.
Then 3 saves in a row. Maybe he can get it done this season.
Blown save to Pitt. 2 Runs in the 9th.
Tie game at Cinn. Scoreless top of the 9th. Gets the W.
Save #4 at Houston.
Tie game against Mil gives up 1 run the bottom of the 9th. Saddled with the loss.
Blown save vs. Philly. 2 runs in the 9th. I think this is the one that broke the camel's back.

So in closer situations this year Hawkins is 1-1 with 4 saves and 3 blown saves. And it isn't just this year. Hawkins is a great middle reliever but he has some sort of mental block when it comes to closing. He has had 3 chances at closing now (1 with the Twins and 2 with the Cubs) and he can't get it done.

No, I meant that his performance this year says he won't be great if he closes. Not that he doesn't suck. (He isn't a bad middle reliever, but he's an atrocious closer.) Oh, and Ryn, this usually indicates some sort of humor: :-b And whats his ERA in save situations? I'm not sure where to get that, so I ask you.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers