Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need some advice (first time FBB)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some advice (first time FBB)

Postby YardBirds » Sun May 15, 2005 2:12 am

This is a strategy question/not a waiver/trade type question

Im in a 5x5 H2H 10 team money league...

My offense is fine even though i have Rolen, Vidro on DL... I have adequate players ie Barmes/Felipe Lopez to cover for them, plus I can still get Lamb or Tracy if Felipe starts to cool down.

My problem is with my pitching staff...

Sheets, Zambrano, Halladay (my studs)
Ryan, Lyon
Marquis, Myers, Morris (Otsuka, Rincon)

I have also been rotating SP through one open slot in my roster, toward the end of the week in order to buff up certain cats ie ks, ws... with Sheets down till god knows when and Zambrano possibly going down hill... would it be wise to just store all of these players for a month/month and a half?

What do u guys think the best strategy would be at this point... at this point right now I have Halladay/Myers/Marquis as my studs, which leaves Morris as the only totally healthy SP... would you say the best strategy would be to grab hunches off the wire everyday and just hope to to get Wins and Ks categories or should I grab a Thomson/DLowe/Arroyo type upper WW pitcher and hope for some stability until all my players come back ? Or should I try and get some knd of trade value from Sheets or Zambrano ?
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YardBirds » Sun May 15, 2005 2:49 am

guess ill just have to hit and miss since no one has any good info
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun May 15, 2005 2:59 am

couple of things ..
A. I'd like to see the rest of your bats ..
B. The pitching is not all that bad . If anything trade off a starter for a closer. Just from what you showed as your waiver wire quality, the VORP for pitchers is not that huge.
In H2H, especially 10 team H2H, you should have a minimum of three closers ..

C. As for 3B .. I would rather have Chad Tracy at 3B over Lopez, if thats what you are doing.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby YardBirds » Sun May 15, 2005 3:05 am

Kendall
Dunn
Barmes
Tejada
Fe. Lopez
Edmonds
Drew
Sh. Green
Juan Pierre
---
B. Giles
Rolen - DL
Vidro - DL

Felipe Lopez is hot right now... he is batting over .300 and will get plent of playing time with Aurilla out with an injury... already after only 2 days of playing him, he has a hr, couple runs and a sb for me so im floored. If he cools off ill grab Tracy.

There are NO closers (even Turnbow, Jones, Dempster/Borowski, Herges, etc...) available on the wire. We have a couple players that drafted 4 closers early and wont deal them for anything. The reason we have so many decent quality SP available on the wire is b/c we have to players doing drop/add for their pitchng staff (holding 3 studs and just rotating random starters all week). I have been looking for a closer to deal for but i am competitive and have only lost the cat once in 5 weeks.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YardBirds » Sun May 15, 2005 3:15 am

And when i say I cant deal for a closer i mean a KRod, Nathan, River, Gagne style closer... saves are 1 category and I'm not gonna flush my ERA/Whip down the toilet for 1 save.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun May 15, 2005 3:18 am

well you are compete because Lyon was hot ..
You cannot expect that every week.

also, you to upgrade on catcher.
There has to be a Billy Beane fan in the group who will take Kendall off your hands. The outfield is solid, heck the bats look solid, considering the DL's ..

agian IfI was to move anything, it would be a starter for either a catcher, myabe buy low on Victor ... or another closer, maybe two, if thats even possible.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sun May 15, 2005 3:18 am

YardBirds wrote:And when i say I cant deal for a closer i mean a KRod, Nathan, River, Gagne style closer... saves are 1 category and I'm not gonna flush my ERA/Whip down the toilet for 1 save.

a good lcoser will gereneally help you in those cats. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby YardBirds » Sun May 15, 2005 3:30 am

At this point, I still think Lyon drags 1 to 2 in a normal week, and yes i know he will cool off, but Ryan will pick up the slack... thats not even the issue really....

Im just wondering whether i should hold on to Zambrano/Sheets for awhile and try and find a solid replacement off the wire or should i just trade Mr. Inconsistent away for a Burnett/Beckett type guy...
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sun May 15, 2005 3:54 am

i'm with wrveres on the closer thingy. in my 10-team h2h, i've got dotel, c. cordero, and bautista, and saves is no sure thing. but if you can get guys like dotel, k-rod, lidge, etc., they'll help out your saves as well as your Ks. getting 5 Ks in a week from a closer can be HUGE. also, given hte number of starters you have, i don't really think you'd be at a risk to getting your ratios bombed by one bad outing. get an upper-teir guy and you won't have to worry about it. if you could package kendall/marquis or morris for an upper-level closer, i'd do it.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun May 15, 2005 3:56 am

oh, also i wouldn't drop any of your DL guys if i were you. i mean, H2H is all about the playoffs (assuming that's how its structured), so you can endure a couple of bad weeks early on if it means you'll have a great team for the playoffs. actually, one strategy that works well is to trade for guys who are injured early (or even for half the season) in the hopes that they'll come back in time for you to clean up in the playoffs.

anyhow, good luck in your fantasy league. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers