Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are some managers IDIOTS??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why are some managers IDIOTS??

Postby The Big Papi » Sat May 14, 2005 1:51 pm

I'm in a private yahoo league, 12 ppl roto, keeper. I signed up after hearing about it from another league, so I don't know anyone in it. I'm in last place right now, with a fairly decent team, but can't seem to get it going.

Anyways, I looked at the standings and I'm very weak in power, and am also in need of an ace. So I posted a message saying that, and was willing to make a trade that would IMPROVE me in those areas.

The commish offers me

I give: C. Lee/Mulder
I get: Dunn/J. Thomson/B. Penny

Is there an ace involved in that deal? No. Is this offending, no not really, but why would I give up my best pitcher for two lesser pitchers? Lee and Dunn are going to be pretty close anyways, this year and for years to come.

Next deal, he offers this TODAY

I give: Utley/Mulder/Turnbow
I get: Izturis/Harden/Thomson

Um thanks for offering me a pitcher that is going to land on the DL shortly, a decent IF option who doesn't hit HRs, and Thomson for Turnbow, even when I told you I love turnbow and expect big things from him.

These trades aren't necessarily that "offending", but for the love of god, look at my team and see if its even going to help me before you offer. He's done this many times throughout the year, can't remember them specifically, but thats probably why I got real pissed this time. He didn't send a comment/note with these offers either.

Oh, btw heres the team if you want to see how the trades would've supposedly "helped me"

C Lieberthal
1B Helton
2B Utley
3B Blalock
SS Counsell
OF Vlad
OF C. Lee
OF M. Lawton
Util S. Finley
Ben W. Taveras
Ben G. Jenkins
DL B. Crosby

SP M. Mulder
SP Ol. Perez
RP D. Turnbow
RP D. Kolb
P J. Patterson
P A. Eaton
P J. Lieber
ben A. Pettitte
ben Y. Brazoban
ben T. Percival
DL J. Borowski

[/rant]
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Howie » Sat May 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Two words: chill out. I'd be happy to get offers as good as those in my leagues.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mamorris » Sat May 14, 2005 2:21 pm

Well I'm not going to defend the second offer, but I think the first one was quite solid. Personally I don't think Dunn and Lee are close, particular in terms of power, for which you specifically asked. No, you don't get an ace back, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless you have a top-of-the-line closer (do they even exist any more?), or an out-and-out speedster (I doubt Taveras will fetch much), at some point you'll have to give up power to get an ace or vice versa. Perhaps if you make some nice deals you'll be able to upgrade, but you certainly won't be able to get a power upgrade and an gain an ace in the same deal.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hookem2003 » Sat May 14, 2005 2:27 pm

better than the dude in my league that offers reggie sanders for carl crawford.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Giambis » Sat May 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Jeez man, want some cheese with that whine??
You wanted power, you got Adam Dunn(i.e. the definition of power). You can't get everything in one deal. Every trade won't be a slam dunk win, you've got to give something up to get something.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Sat May 14, 2005 3:24 pm

I think Penny is better then Mulder, so I don't have a cluse why you didn't jump at that first deal.

Why are some managers idiots?

I don't know, go look in the mirror and figure it out. Maybe because people like you have a hard on for their own players and can't step back and judge value appropriately. :-t
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby TB13 » Sat May 14, 2005 3:32 pm

The deals are not really that lopsided. They look pretty fair.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gws226 » Sat May 14, 2005 3:59 pm

At least its a starting point for you..... why don't you just offer a counter proposal?
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat May 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Irish wrote:I think Penny is better then Mulder, so I don't have a cluse why you didn't jump at that first deal.

Why are some managers idiots?

I don't know, go look in the mirror and figure it out. Maybe because people like you have a hard on for their own players and can't step back and judge value appropriately. :-t

LOL - agree.

Mulder isn't Santana. He struggled the 2nd half of last year, struggled out the gate, and then has pitched well. But, he got lit up today. If you think he's a Top 10 pitcher, great, but don't presume everyone shares your opinion. Penny, when healthy, would be my preference. He's had two good starts and two bad (with one in Colorado). And Thomson has had one bad start (also in Colorado). I admit the back may be an issue (don't know), but even then, I'd take Penny and Thomson over Mulder.

As for Dunn vs. Lee, you want power and would be getting the player capable of hitting 50 HR for a player hitting 30. Don't see the issue there.

As to the second offer, I agree that it doesn't take into account your needs (why give up a guy who can hit 15-20 for one luck to hit 5), but isn't the worst offer, per se. But, still doesn't mean the first offer, or this guy in general, is an idiot, IMHO.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers