Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does the Yankee shake-up help?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Conner » Wed May 04, 2005 4:12 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Conner wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Conner wrote:Like I said...I am a yankee fan, and I love Jeter....but lt's be real here for a moment:

1) Diving into the stands:

Did you see the highlight on Sportscsnter of the kid in college leaping over a wall in foul territory, landing on his head to catch a ball?

Making plays like those have nothing to do with "instincts". Most shortstops in basball are capable of making that play...Jeter was just lucky enough to make a great play at a very important time.

He's always been great at catching popups, of all kinds. Making that play doesn't make him a better shortstop.

2) "The flip".

Believe it or not....Jeter was actually out of position there. He should have been in that spot as soon as he saw the runner going home.

They practice this play in spring training, every single season. I'm very happy he made up for his hesitation in time to make the play...but it really wasn't some kind of incredible show of "insticts".

Jeter was out of position? Are you kidding me? The shortstop is not supposed to be there on that play. The first baseman is the cutoff man, not the shortstop. The ball went over Tino's head, and Jeter raced in to try and get the ball home.

I don't know what kind of baseball you watch, but the shortstop is not supposed to stand between the 1st baseman and the catcher, where A THROW is normally coming from.

Did you miss the part where I said that they practice that play? Most teams don't (and that's why everyone was so shocked)...but the Yankees do.

Being where he ended up was exactly where he was supposed to be.

Lol they practice the flip? Are you kidding? Did you hear Torre in every single interview dealing with that play? I've heard it so many times I can quote it for you...

"We don't practice the old backhand shovel..."

There you go. Nobody practices that. Maybe you heard the quote wrong.

Obviously, they don't practice "the old backhand shovel".

He's supposed to be in a position where he doesn't have to backhand shovel the ball, as he's sprinting across the field to make up for not getting there in time.

They absolutely do practive that play. The shortstop is absolutely supposed to be a position so that he can either be the cutoff man for third, or the backup for the cutoff man at home (the first baseman) if the throw is going there.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:14 pm

Conner, with all due respect, you need to get your baseball facts straight.

On a hit to the outfield in which a runner would be coming home, the 1st baseman is the cutoff man.

The 2nd baseman covers 1st base in case they catch the runner coming too far off the bag, anticipating a throw to home.

The shortstop normally covers 2nd base, same reason as above.

The third baseman covers his own base.

The catcher obviously covers the plate.

The PITCHER backs up the throw home. Not the shortstop. The shortstop does not run in between the 1st baseman and catcher.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby Conner » Wed May 04, 2005 4:17 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Conner, with all due respect, you need to get your baseball facts straight.

On a hit to the outfield in which a runner would be coming home, the 1st baseman is the cutoff man.

The 2nd baseman covers 1st base in case they catch the runner coming too far off the bag, anticipating a throw to home.

The shortstop normally covers 2nd base, same reason as above.

The third baseman covers his own base.

The catcher obviously covers the plate.

The PITCHER backs up the throw home. Not the shortstop. The shortstop does not run in between the 1st baseman and catcher.

You're simply wrong.

Like I said...most teams don't use the rotation that the Yankees do.

Fact of the matter is, they absolutely do.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:19 pm

Do you have proof that I'm 'simply wrong'?

Maybe I should take your word for it, you're probably at every Yankee practice starting in Spring Training and have every possible scenario memorized... ;-7
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Conner » Wed May 04, 2005 4:24 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Do you have proof that I'm 'simply wrong'?

Maybe I should take your word for it, you're probably at every Yankee practice starting in Spring Training and have every possible scenario memorized... ;-7

I'm positive that I could find quotes from Jeter and other Yankees that say they practice that play...I just don't feel like it.

When Jason Giambi signed with the Yankees, one of the first things he said in spring training that year was "I just want to see them practicing the play that they got my brother with". Sure enough, they do practice it.

You can't prove me wrong. That I'm sure of.
Last edited by Conner on Wed May 04, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Conner wrote:

I'm positive that I could find quotes from Jeter and other Yankees that say they practice that play...I just don't feel like it.

When Jason Giambi signed with the Yankees, one of the first things he said in spring training that year was "I just want to see them practicing the play that they got my brother with". Sure nough, they do practice it.

Lol and you don't think Giambi was joking when he made that quote? No chuckling when he said it? Please...

You don't feel like finding quotes? Well the I don't feel like believing anything you say. I can't prove you wrong, ok, but you obviously can't prove me wrong either.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:29 pm

The only quote Jeter had after the play was...

"It's my job to judge where the ball is going to be in relation to the cutoff man..."

Or something along those lines. Nothing that says they practice that play or that he was out of position.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Conner » Wed May 04, 2005 4:29 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Conner wrote:

When Jason Giambi signed with the Yankees, one of the first things he said in spring training that year was "I just want to see them practicing the play that they got my brother with". Sure nough, they do practice it.

Lol and you don't think Giambi was joking when he made that quote? No chuckling when he said it? Please...

You don't feel like finding quotes? Well the I don't feel like believing anything you say. I can't prove you wrong, ok, but you obviously can't prove me wrong either.

Yes, he probably was chuckling. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Obviously, he didn't believe it.

Sure enough...they did practice it.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:30 pm

You wanna give me some proof? Oh wait, you don't feel like it.

You have no credibility if you're not going to backup your arguments with facts.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Conner » Wed May 04, 2005 4:34 pm

Ugh..

Type into google these words: jeter "jeremy giambi" practice spring training

You'll get 246 results. Here's a couple:

"But Jeter, with characteristic modesty, provided a different reason for being in the right location. The shortstop explained that there is no other logical place for him to be on that play. He also said that the Yankees practice that play in spring training."

And:

""We practice that play in spring training," Yankees third baseman Scott Brosius said. "Well, except for the basketball shovel pass. A lot of players would sleepwalk through those drills, but we don't. That's a difference in our team.""

And:

" Jeter downplayed his efforts, saying he was merely doing was what he was supposed to as the "trailer" on a play the Yankees work on in spring training.

"My job is basically to read the play," Jeter said. "
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers