Return to Baseball Leftovers

Heads up on Chris Reitsma (MR for Atlanta)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby decktard » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:30 pm

GSes wrote:Kolb was horrible after the all star break last year and it has carried right on over into this season.

I said it before I will say it again, the Braves got FOOlS gold.

Yeah... actually... I think you're right on. At the end of last year a lot of Milwaukee talk radio was saying the same thing. Keep Sheets, sell high on Kolb.

While I don't think people expected him to be this bad... the brewers weren't going to take on an expensive closer when they don't need to close games yet.
decktard
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:59 pm

and the wilcard in all this imo is this guy Adam Bernero. He looks like another dotel in the making.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby MikeD22 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:05 pm

GSes wrote:
MikeD22 wrote:Mazzone will work his magic with Kolb and you will see improvement soon. Also, he is under some pressure to fill Smoltz's shoes in the closer role (those are BIG shoes). He is going through a transition period right now with his new team. Reitsma is 14 for 27 in save opportunities for his career and has a career ERA of 4.36 and I don't see Atlanta making such a dramatic switch this early in the season.

Let's be realistic here, it's only April.

if you would read my earlier posts which apprently you didn't you would see I said Reithma is not much of a better option then Kolb.

Adjustment period? are u joking, he switeched from the NL central to the NL East, he didn't even move that far. There should be no pressure to fill smoltz shoes, smoltz wanted out of the closer role bad and Kolb has NO one that really threatens his job or that he has to compete with unless of course he keeps sucking.

like i said in another post maybe i am going overboard on saying how much i think kolb sucks, but you guys are going overboard on how great you think he is.

he is not gagne

he is wut he is
he is a low-tier closer

You obviously are inexperienced with closer situations. The adjustment period I was talking about is not changing from NL to AL but moving from Milw to Atl is a huge difference. Let me explain to you. Milw is a no pressure team, Atl is high pressure, you are expected to pitch great almost every time out. In Milw, anything you do good is appreciated, no expectations. Atlanta has been a winning organization for years and years. What has Milw done lately?? So, for someone like Kolb who's played for no pressure teams like Texas and Milw, coming to Atl is a big upgrade. He is adjusting in his new closer role with greater expectations, winning organization, and (Smoltz's shoes). And if you think Smotz's shoes are not big shoes to fill, you don't understand what it truly means for MLB players to assume new roles. There is pressure and expectations pal. Also, Smoltz wanting out of the closer's role has nothing to do with the pressure Kolb is facing.

I agree with you that Kolb is over-rated and nothing special when it comes to closers. Atl is no where close to taking him out at this point (April) in the season. Maybe in June/July if he is still getting beat up, then a change might be an option.
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:35 pm

MikeD22 wrote:
GSes wrote:
MikeD22 wrote:Mazzone will work his magic with Kolb and you will see improvement soon. Also, he is under some pressure to fill Smoltz's shoes in the closer role (those are BIG shoes). He is going through a transition period right now with his new team. Reitsma is 14 for 27 in save opportunities for his career and has a career ERA of 4.36 and I don't see Atlanta making such a dramatic switch this early in the season.

Let's be realistic here, it's only April.

if you would read my earlier posts which apprently you didn't you would see I said Reithma is not much of a better option then Kolb.

Adjustment period? are u joking, he switeched from the NL central to the NL East, he didn't even move that far. There should be no pressure to fill smoltz shoes, smoltz wanted out of the closer role bad and Kolb has NO one that really threatens his job or that he has to compete with unless of course he keeps sucking.

like i said in another post maybe i am going overboard on saying how much i think kolb sucks, but you guys are going overboard on how great you think he is.

he is not gagne

he is wut he is
he is a low-tier closer

You obviously are inexperienced with closer situations. The adjustment period I was talking about is not changing from NL to AL but moving from Milw to Atl is a huge difference. Let me explain to you. Milw is a no pressure team, Atl is high pressure, you are expected to pitch great almost every time out. In Milw, anything you do good is appreciated, no expectations. Atlanta has been a winning organization for years and years. What has Milw done lately?? So, for someone like Kolb who's played for no pressure teams like Texas and Milw, coming to Atl is a big upgrade. He is adjusting in his new closer role with greater expectations, winning organization, and (Smoltz's shoes). And if you think Smotz's shoes are not big shoes to fill, you don't understand what it truly means for MLB players to assume new roles. There is pressure and expectations pal. Also, Smoltz wanting out of the closer's role has nothing to do with the pressure Kolb is facing.

I agree with you that Kolb is over-rated and nothing special when it comes to closers. Atl is no where close to taking him out at this point (April) in the season. Maybe in June/July if he is still getting beat up, then a change might be an option.

I find it amusing you try to insult my baseball knowledge in saying you think I don't understand or are not familar with how closer situations work.

I can assure I kno a thing for 2 about closer situations pal. And as far as what you are saying it is half true but at the same time a load of crap...........the 9th inning is the 9th inning, if he did it before he should do it again it is all the same, and if he has problems with the "pressure" of Atlanta (and maybe you are right, cuz i do believe in that although Its more in places like Chicago and New York IMO.

but anyways if he really is having problems with the "presure", i highly doubt that he will be able to adjust to that. I don't think his problem is he feels pressured, I think his problem is he just plain sucks

and as i said before MIL gave ATAL fool's gold, Kolb is not what he appears to be, he was absolutely HORRIBLE in August and Sepetemebr last year and it has carried right on over into this season and he has shown no sighns to me of getting out of it.

I belive
Danny Kolb will just be one of those names at the end of the season that go on the Bust of the Year awards. Every year, Every single year there are always solid closers who end up big time busts and my pick right now is Dan Kolb, he was my pick preseason as well with that bad post all star break he had.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:25 pm

zhutou wrote:kolb is an established closer, unlike adams or macdougal. he will NOT lose his job, period.

Assanine

Would not shock me to see Reeeeetsma get the ball in a save situation tonight.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:29 pm

oukurt wrote:
zhutou wrote:kolb is an established closer, unlike adams or macdougal. he will NOT lose his job, period.

Assanine

Would not shock me to see Reeeeetsma get the ball in a save situation tonight.

yes. kolb has now established that he can't close very well.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby oukurt » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Do you think Cox guided the Braves to 13 straight div titles by trotting out some guy that will blow games for them? They have a hard enough time putting runs together as it is.
To definitively say that Kolb will keep his job is just closed mindied.
I have Rietsma stashed away on my bench. It won't be long until he comes off hopefully.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:55 pm

oukurt wrote:Do you think Cox guided the Braves to 13 straight div titles by trotting out some guy that will blow games for them? They have a hard enough time putting runs together as it is.
To definitively say that Kolb will keep his job is just closed mindied.
I have Rietsma stashed away on my bench. It won't be long until he comes off hopefully.

You may have just defeated your own argument, unintentionally. You are correct, Cox knows what he's doing. That being the case, if he had such belief in Reitsma, why would they have traded for Kolb?

Look, Kolb may or may not blow the job at some point. But it won't be this early, that you can take to the bank. What's more, there's no guarantee they turn to Reitsma as his replacement if one is needed. In fact, I'm of the opinion they like him more setting up, which is why they traded for a closer in the first place. My guess is that Bernero or perhaps even Colon might get a shot if Kolb falls apart.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby tomkatt » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:58 pm

Everybody can stash Reitsma all they want. Danny Kolb will be given every opportunity to succeed. If he should continue to stink himself out of Atlanta, then I see them pursuing a more reliable closer in trade. Reitsma will be nothing more than a short term fix, if that.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stevethumb » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:10 pm

agree w/GSes..dkolb was horrible before 03 and horrible from the all star break thru spring training thru april..contending teams such as the braves who know good pitching will NOT tolerate that type of performance..dkolb will be a mop up man soon as predicted by many in this forum
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers