Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please comment on this strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:05 pm

Irish wrote:You should announce at the beginning of the season that rosters will be frozen when the playoffs come.

I don't care how ya slice it, number of moves remaining should not become the focal point in winning fantasy sports. :-t

Yep, in my daily lineup league we lock transactions for the playoffs, though usually opening Sundays for making moves.

That way I see it is, the regular season is for assembling your team and making the playoffs, then it's game time. May the best team then win, not the team with the most transactions.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:08 pm

It's why you should limit moves to a weekly basis and not overall. I agree with the poster that the championship should not be decided based on who has more roster moves available in the playoffs. It's cheap.

I just don't see why so many people look at these games as ways to get over on other people, even if it is not outside the rules of the league. The purpose is to have fun and to let people have a way to participate in the game of baseball vicariously. Yes, you want to win your league, but you also should have enough respect for the people you are playing with, and for yourself, to not only work within the rules but within the spirit of the rules as well.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -12)

Postby BritSox » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Thirty total moves is quite few. He shouldn't be able to do this, but given that he can I don't see it as particularly cheap- having allowed moves during the playoffs, is it then cheap for one guy to use them all during a slow week? Or a guy who's team tears it up in the early part of the playoffs saving them for the final? IMHO he's not being remotely underhanded.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

SMART

Postby bigjimblue » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:45 pm

It sounds smart to me. Just like saving your timeouts for the end of the game!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:03 pm

Sounds smart to me. He's saving his roster moves for when they provide the most help and are needed most. Of course, you have to make the playoffs first, but usually that isn't a huge problem.

You could change the rules again so that your rosters are frozen for the playoffs, like somebody else mentioned. Or switch to weekly transactions, even if just for the palyoffs. I also hate the strategy of churning pitchers, and lost a 14 team H2H league last year because of it, even though I had the best team throughout the whole season. I lost fairly though; it was within the rules.

This is just another reason why I don't like H2H leagues though, because so much of the season depends on a group of games spanning 7 days. There's way too much room for the best team to lose even if they're still the best team. I play in a couple H2H though, but only in leagues with friends who aren't too competitive, and then also the H2H World Series. Obviously I still brag when I win though :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -179)

Postby FlawedReasoning » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:45 pm

LBJackal wrote:This is just another reason why I don't like H2H leagues though, because so much of the season depends on a group of games spanning 7 days. There's way too much room for the best team to lose even if they're still the best team. I play in a couple H2H though, but only in leagues with friends who aren't too competitive, and then also the H2H World Series. Obviously I still brag when I win though :-D

"No one ever says, 'It's only a game' when their team is winning."
-George Carlin

;-D
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers