Return to Baseball Leftovers

junior spivey -- what do I need to know about this guy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

junior spivey -- what do I need to know about this guy?

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:31 am

Is he worthy of a look, hitting second?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:42 am

Spivey is somewhat inconsistent and a bit of a free swinger. Strikes out a bit too much for my liking. But, with Brady Clark getting on base at a ridiculous .464 clip in front of him and Overbay/Lee/Jenkins behind him, he's in a pretty nice spot (once Lee and Jenkins get going). He's got .300/20/75 or so potential, I believe, but those numbers likely won't be reached when he's inevitably hurt.

Ultimately I think it depends on league size. I have him in an 18 team league, and have been fairly pleased so far. I'd say in 12 team leagues or smaller he's probably just an injury fill-in kind of guy.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:29 am

hmm thanks. How does he compare against omar infante? I lose khlalil green, now have a quandy of to just bite the bullet with infante or royce clayton. go "big" trade and try for jeter or tjeada, or trade castillo for berroa and pick up spivey so I can play him at MI instead of infante at short.

ideas?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:42 am

hmm, compared to el infante, the veitable baby of MLB, i'd say it's a tossup.

spivey is prone to streakiness, but hten again, so is like 66-75% of offensive players in fantasy baseball. he had a nice lil rookie season, wel, his first full season, in 2002 where he was like .300/16/78/11, but then the next year he tanked, hitting .255 with i think under 10 HR and 5 steals.

then he got traded and seemed to be hurt.

so even when he broke out, he wasn't taking hte world by storm, he was just a solid waiver wire early to mid season pickup to play a solid 2B for yah. this year he got a couple quick homeruns and hit the ball well early, and inoticed he's had a few doubles over the last few days... so i think at his absolute peak he's prolly a .280/20/80/10 guy, but realistically i'm thinkin .275/15/60/5-10. so i dont know if he's one of those guys who peaked when he broke in and pitchers/scouts didnt have knowledge on him, or if he's still got some improvement or even a career year in him. i doubt he'll ever have a brady anderson year (brian roberts is a darkhorse candidate for that this year, heh, nook logan robbed him of what would be hr #6 last night)

so i wouldnt rank him that high. if you wanna use him at 2B for awhile, give it a shot... he might be solid enough to stick around, like he was for me in 2002, otherwise you'll prolly find a better bat via waiverwire, free agency, or trade at some point
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:50 am

thanks that was informative.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:33 pm

For 2B only, Spivey is a better bet, but it is close enough that Infante;'s multi-position eligability would make me favor him for a bench spot.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:53 pm

ok here is the deal -- my league plays 2b, ss, MI. I have castillo at 2b, Biggio at MI and Infante at short. I was thinkign that the wire for 2b is better than SS (o. hudson is also available), that trading castillo could yield me a much better SS than the wire has, and since the 2b pickups are better than SS, slide that new player in at 2b or MI.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:04 pm

That's a pretty good idea, as long as you can get somebody to take on Castillo. I wouldn't want him much at all.

Spivey offers decent pop from 2B...and will give you a handful of SBs, too. Nothing too special, but he's a solid performer. The writeup on him above is very good.

I'd like to add that he may get dealt around the All-Star Break if Rickie Weeks has a solid showing at AAA. He's only hitting .239 so far, though. However, Spivey's just keeping the seat warm for Weeks, just as Overbay is doing for Prince Fielder. That Sexson deal looks pretty good now...they filled quite a few starting spots with the trade. The BrewCrew looks pretty good for the future. Weeks, Fielder and Nelson have serious pop...drafted Mark Rogers and Yovani Gallardo...not bad.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:08 pm

i think I might have a guy who would do it. It might land me kaz instead of berroa. But in general is that the type of theme I should explore -- or just bide my time?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:26 pm

I'm not high on Castillo at all, so I probably would try to do something like that...Matsui's a mess right now, though, but I liked him a lot going into the season. I think he'll do well this year, although he's shown nothing so far.

Is Clint Barmes available anywhere? Dual 2B/SS eligibility...flat out ripping the ball at Coors.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers