Return to Baseball Leftovers

closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D-backs closer: Kim

Postby lab_rats » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:57 pm

Unless they pitch this guy in Yankee stadium - he should do fine as the D'backs closer. Why take out a player who has done well and replace him with someone who has been rehabbing for 2+ years?
lab_rats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Closers

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:22 pm

Check Baez in Cleveland. A good Website i often use is

http://www.theinsidepitch.com[/url]

They have a frequently updated closer watch. As for the Red Sox. i beleive that "closer by committee" will eventually fail, so look for one of the three or four "members" to take over the role by mid June. Also, i wouldn't rule out the sox dumping someone to get a washed up Tom Gordon or Roberto Hernandez after the break if their committee is blowing too many games.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Walden warriors » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:21 pm

Is it just me, or is the closer the most overrated, overhyped, overpaid position in all of sports?

Tom
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:22 pm

%-6 closers can kiss my @ss. I hate them !!!

closers

Postby kbalderston » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:57 pm

I agree, closers are overpaid in fantasy baseball, mostly because you can get saves pretty cheap throughout the year. Here are a few closer changes I see hapening this year: Spooneybarger in FLA, Vizcaino or del los Santos in MIL, Politte in TOR, Tucker in MON, Farnsworth in CHI. Longshots, Prinz in ARI, Todd Jones in COL, Santana in MIN, Fransisco Rodriguez in ANA.
kbalderston

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:12 am

Santana is not going to close in minn. He will be a long reliever until someone gets hurt (my money on Radke) and then he will start. Guardado is to good for them to waste Santana.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

ARI

Postby navycruise » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:40 pm

kbalderson -- I'd have to agree with most of your sleepers, except I'd be inclined to predict Mantei, if anyone, de-throning Kim in Arizona (vice Prinz)... I'd also dispute the Min. selection, but I see hbj79 has already covered that. ;-D
navycruise
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkoss » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:06 pm

I doubt very seriously that Farnsworth will become the closer for the Cubs. Management is set on trying Alfonseca again (woe is me!) and they signed Rod Beck to a minor league deal and invited him to Spring Training. If Alfonseca blows up, Beck will be brought in. Then if Beck blows up, they might try Farnsworth as the closer. He's got the hopping fastball to be a closer, but not the right mentality and not the control needed (although, neither does Alfonseca).

And I agree, closers are HIGHLY overrated.

Michael.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

(Past Year: -46)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:12 pm

why are you guys so down on closers? they can help you win 3 of 5 pitching catagories. If you have Alfonseca or some crumby closer then it will hurt your whip,era and saves if he's blowing a bunch. The opposite is true if you have 2 elite closers and 2 great closers.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Walden warriors » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:14 pm

I was talking more for real life baseball rather than fantasy wise.

Considering the amount of money closers command, relative to what they actually contribute to a team's winning, I have to think the closer is WAY overhyped.

Tom in the 847
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers