Return to Baseball Leftovers

closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:59 pm

I would never take a closer early. First the only have a major influence saves and minor on WHIP, ERA, K's and Wins. Plus there are so many question marks out there. I think even more so this year than last. Will Nen/Rivera be healthy? Will Smoltz/Kim be a starter again? Why waste a high draft pick on a closer when 2 or 3 great ones come out of no where every year? Gagne and Guardado probally were taken late in last year's draft (if at all) and they did great.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:25 pm

I tend to agree. It isn't really worth taking a closer early. The one exception I make is for Eric Gagne. The reason being that all his numbers are great and he gets so many more So's than any other closer. The nearest to him were Koch, Kim, and Wagner and none of them reached 95So's. With all his great numbers he is the only closer worthy of a relatively high pick. He is close to some good starters.

Gange:115
Washburn:139
Maddux:118
Lowe:127
Buerhle:134
Padilla:128
Glavine:127
Hbj79

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:29 pm

Sure, there are always several closers to be had in-season; the question is whether you'll be able to land them. In general, the more competitive (and the deeper) your league is, the more important it is to have solid closers right from the start.

Closers actually can have a significant impact on your total stats if you consider their numbers per inning. In leagues with a strict innings pitched limit, I tend to think relievers can be very valuable... (I won't even start on leagues without an ip minimum :-) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby hbj79 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:38 pm

I tend to make sure I draft one top closer and another less obvious closer. Last year I drafted Benitez and Guardado. They served me well. (my league uses net saves)
hbj79

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby GDaversa » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:48 am

last year i drafted matt herges thinking he was their closer what a mistake that was, but to tell you i have not heard anything specific
GDaversa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:36 am

I agree with HBJ usually I'll draft one closer round 6 or 7 and then I will try and fill up my bench with as many hopefulls after my starting lineup and rotation is set.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:40 am

also..just a little side note. I've been in a few drafts where there is a "run" for the closers and if it's in the 4th round or whenever you better jump on the horse or you will be left scrambling!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mkoss » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:45 am

What do you guys think about putting up a sticky topic with each team listed and their probable closer? Something like:

Texas: Urbina
Cubs: Alfonseca has the job for now, but Rod Beck is waiting in the wings in case he falters.

Arlo, can you create a sticky thread where we can add this info? Also, I could see a thread like this for starting pitchers being helpful too.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

(Past Year: -46)

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:04 pm

that sounds like a good idea to me.
:-]
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mkoss » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:05 pm

I have those occasionally. I'm much more than just a pretty face ;)
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

(Past Year: -46)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers