Return to Baseball Leftovers

When Will Pedro Stop Whining

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jjigglers » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:59 am

nuggets wrote:
jjigglers wrote:
nuggets wrote:This is a point where I say BE QUITE, STATHEAD. The guy has already stated that he does not understand this advanced Bill Jamisian thoery. HE WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE UP AN EXAPMLE.

Personally, I like stats, and I'm sure a lot of us do too considering we're doing fantasy baseball. I also think your comment was pretty out of line. I recommend you cut down on the caps, and consider being "QUITE" yourself.

The rift between "statheads" and "baseball fans" shall neve cease but, secretly, I believe they both envy eachother. Personally I'm a baseball fan who is intrigued by the 'natural' statistical laws that baseball seems to follow and the pursuit to define it's reality. But sometimes it just goes to far. I guess just like a loud annoying baseball fan can get to anyone else.

interesting post. ;-D
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jjigglers » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:18 am

Hm, I kind of liked the A's by default, and then respected them more because of Billy Beane.

Im not the type to predict based on stats, but I am the type to analyze past performance based on stats.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jjigglers » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:31 am

nuggets wrote:
jjigglers wrote:Hm, I kind of liked the A's by default, and then respected them more because of Billy Beane.

Im not the type to predict based on stats, but I am the type to analyze past performance based on stats.

I always liked the A's but rooted for SF (NL fan grew up going to Chi and SF games) in the earthquake WS. Those Split A's/Giants hats, shirts, ect. were great. I love what the A's have done with thier baseball team and obviously am disguested by the Yankees.

Tell me Harden is a Jake Peavy and will kill this year, no IL of course. I don't want to wait untill he is 26-27.

Harden is a Jake Peavy and will kill this year, no IL of course.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:57 am

jjigglers wrote:
nuggets wrote:
jjigglers wrote:Hm, I kind of liked the A's by default, and then respected them more because of Billy Beane.

I always liked the A's but rooted for SF (NL fan grew up going to Chi and SF games) in the earthquake WS. Those Split A's/Giants hats, shirts, ect. were great. I love what the A's have done with thier baseball team and obviously am disguested by the Yankees.

Tell me Harden is a Jake Peavy and will kill this year, no IL of course. I don't want to wait untill he is 26-27.

Harden is a Jake Peavy and will kill this year, no IL of course.

And Santa will visit you this year. O:-) :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Arlo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:59 am

Lofunzo wrote:And Santa will visit you this year. O:-) :-D

Santametrics? :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby DK » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:13 am

nuggets wrote:
DK wrote:OK, for the hell of it:

I decided to do a calculation of Park Adjusted Runs Saved by each pitcher (IE the amount of runs a pitcher saved, park adjusted, in any given season) with a baseline of 200 IP/Season.

Clemens per 32 starts has a PARS of 22.84.

Pedro per 32 starts has a PARS of 27.48.

Now, this is a fairly new method that hasn't been entirely approved. But its calculations do make sense.

DK wrote:baseline of 200 IP/Season.

Come on now, 200 IP that seems rediculous to judge the best upon. Like 0-60 vs. the 1/4 mile.

What do you mean? I'm not following you... the 200 IP baseline means that in their case, the average pitcher pitches roughly 200 innings in those seasons (which I think is quite high, actually.)

Maybe you're interpreting the stat incorrectly.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers