Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Tampa thinking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is Tampa thinking

Postby PATSOX » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:50 pm

I'm not even a D-Rays fan, but their front office is horrible. They have so much young talent and have no idea what to do with it. At the same time they bring in weak vetrans to "help". Simply horrible.

Your thoughts???
PATSOX
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:31 pm

You can't have a team of all young guys. You NEED reliable veteran help, and leadership.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby PATSOX » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:42 pm

indeed...but not crappy veterans like the alomar, bautista, and all the others. I have yet to see them make a good off-season or in-season move (except kazmir, which was more the mets fault than good thinking by the rays)
PATSOX
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pacman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:50 pm

I'd argue they're on the right track, rewarding Crawford with a big contract.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)

Postby PATSOX » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:53 pm

yeah that was an awesome move and they got him fairly cheap. I dunno, I just think it would be so frustrating to watch this team if I lived in Tampa or was a fan of the rays.
PATSOX
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Payne Dailey » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:56 pm

They have a decent young core of players and it looks like they are trying to make the right moves. They could be a major improvement in the next 2~4 years but the division they play in is just horrible for their chances of becoming a playoff team.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PATSOX » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:58 pm

In March alone they made several questionable moves:

Trading away sosa, who was a better relied pitcher than starter, for nick green who just fills a role someone in there minors could have.

signing alex sanchez. decent pick up, but what does he offer that gathright doesn't. experience yes, bad attitude yes, fragility yes

picking up restovich was good, but now i hear they're trying to pass him through waivers...???
PATSOX
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PATSOX » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:00 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:They have a decent young core of players and it looks like they are trying to make the right moves. They could be a major improvement in the next 2~4 years but the division they play in is just horrible for their chances of becoming a playoff team.

yeah, that is true. but how did the indians turn it around so quickly being a small market team themselves? I know the wins might not be there because of the division, but the quality of play should be there by now.
PATSOX
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:05 pm

I honeslty think they'd be better off holding the young talent that they have now. Huff, Crawford, and Baldelli are only a couple of years off from being the leaders of that team and are all solid players. For any GOOD veteran player they'd get, they'd most likely have to give up one of their good prospects, which could be worth it but it's pointless to do since they're not playoff caliber in the east and one player won't help that.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Postby hybrid » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:09 pm

A simple answer to your question is, yes we know our GM is for the most part a moron. They only thing our front office seems capable of is drafting good talent...

The few times I have applauded them is with the Kazmir trade and now signing Crawford.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers