Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Crawford a legit top 15 player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:48 pm

In a keeper league Crawford is about 10-14, but in a points or non-keeper, he's about a 12-18 pick or the first part of the second round. 60 steals .300 average 10-20 homers 100+ runs 60 RBI's
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:07 pm

i think 15 hr's is more along the line of expecting -- 20 is possible but on the outside.

with how devalued SB's are in roto, and how useful crawfor'd's avg is (high number of ab's which magnifies it), he is top 15. More than that? I don't think so. At some point, you have to give the nod to ichiro IMO. They are similar players in soem respects, but ichiro has been doing it longer, and has a better lineup now.

I think it is very hard to make the case that he is more valuable than:

pujols, arod, beltran, vlad, santana, manny, tejada, abreu, helton (my opinion), ichiro, randy johnson.

I personally would rather have soriano, bonds (if playing) and possibly rolen (maybe).

I think top 10 is a stretch, top 15 reasonable, top 20 definitely.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby smelson » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:21 pm

I know it might be a stretch to say that Crawford will approach 20 homers this year, but this guy has to have some power, and he's only what 22? 23?

If anyone remembers Crawford committed to play quarterback at Nebraska out of high school.....so he has to have some legit strength, especially since he was gonna go to Nebraska to run the option. Take a look at other former college quarterbacks like Helton and Dunn, and they have all the power in the world.

Not saying Crawford has the same power, but he could have been a quarterback as well, which means that he must have some power hidden down there.

Who knows, we'll see how he progresses during this season and in future seasons.
smelson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:43 pm

I'm not sure why 20 is so unlikely...I guess since Crawford is a pretty much lock for atleast 50 stolen bases people think he must be a small guy, though he is actually 6 foot 2 and weighs 220 pounds 8-o . Then factor in he's only 23 and still developing and he improved in home runs every year. I think 10-15 is just a base, and that he should exceed 15 if not 20 homers this year.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby djack909 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:48 pm

I'll say it again. Crawford is an outfielder with middle infielder stats. Just compare him to Furcal and Rollins. Its obvious. So if you want a light hitting outfielder who can steal bases, you can waste a 2nd round pick on Crawford or pick-up Podsednik in the 7th round. Mark my words, in October, you will not see close to the a 5 round difference between them. (By the way, I was able to pick-up Podsednik off the WW in one of my leagues.)
Last edited by djack909 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:50 pm

two of the best MI in the game... what's the problem?

oh, and crawford stole about 30 more bases than either of them last year, putting him in the top 15 (or 10 ;-) ) rather than just the top 50.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:54 pm

George_Foreman wrote:two of the best MI in the game... what's the problem?

oh, and crawford stole about 30 more bases than either of them last year, putting him in the top 15 (or 10 ;-) ) rather than just the top 50.
and hit 20 points better than furcal...and is much younger than either of them and still developing...
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby smelson » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:55 pm

djack909 wrote:I'll say it again. Crawford is an outfielder with middle infielder stats. Just compare him to Furcal and Rollins. Its obvious.

The difference between Crawford and Furcal/Rollins?

Furcal - 5'10" 165 pounds, 27 years old
Rollins - 5'8" 160 pounds, 26 years old
Crawford - 6'2" 220, 23 years old

Not to mention Crawford was a former quarterback.....
Crawford has similar speed as Rollins and Furcal, but it's obvious he has oodles more power potential. And he's only 23.
smelson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:57 pm

i've got furcal's average bouncing back to the .295-.300 next year. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby TB13 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:19 pm

[quote="curious_george_43545"]I'm not sure why 20 is so unlikely...I guess since Crawford is a pretty much lock for atleast 50 stolen bases people think he must be a small guy[/quote]

That has nothing to do with it. It's becuase prior to last year there has NEVER been ANY indication that he will develop into a power hitter. Last years totals were the highest at any level.
Again, I have to laugh when the pro-Crawfors crowd touts him as a future35-30 home run hitter, but are just as quick to dismiss Coco Crisp's home run spike.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers