Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Crawford a legit top 15 player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Crawford a legit top 15 player?

Postby smelson » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:26 pm

That's the million dollar question for me at least heading into the season. I took him in the second round (11th overall) in my 10 team 5x5 league (I had the last pick). I figured he wouldn't be around by the time my pick came around so I better get him before he's gone.

Do you guys think that he can produce as a top 10 or 15 player? Obviously the steals will be there, but where do you guys see his power potential this year? I would be happy with 20 homers and 75 or 80 RBIs.
smelson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:29 pm

There have been plenty of threads discussing Crawford, use the search to find them. To put simply though I have Crawford as a top 10 player ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby sportsgalore » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:30 pm

i think 20 hr and 80 rbis is a reach - its possible but i thikn 15 hrs and 65 rbis is more likely, i mean who is he going to drive in for tb ya know? his sbs will keep your singlehandedly in steals though - in my draft he was there at 17th pick and i grabbed him up quickly because he does have SOME power and the dude is lightning
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:09 pm

I love it when a player gets this hyped up before the season such that people rank him in their top 10. You guys take him in the second and 3rd rounds, I will find and pick up the future Carl Crawford's, like I picked him up last year off FA (points pool where steals are not the be-all and end-all as in roto), like I picked up David Ortiz a couple yeafs back, like I picked up Santana when he moved from the bullpen to starting mid-season............you get the point........I never spend good picks on hyped-up players, instead I take comeback players who are underrated, like Nomar, Halladay, Garret Anderson..........just as I took Vlad last year in the second round, and RJ in the third..........
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bost0n » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Yes he is.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:34 pm

I think KG brought up a good point - if you play in roto, there's very little denying hes very close to top 10. If you play in point based scoring than he probably isnt since most point based leagues devalue SBs.

In basic roto formats last yr Crawford finished just outside the top 10 hitters - 13th overall - just after ARod and ahead of Rolen.

If you think Crawford will get better, then yes, he's basically in the 8-12 range.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:35 pm

Crawford is definitely a top 15 pick in most formats. He's especially valuable in keeper leagues. I think it's reasonable to say he can produce along the lines of .300 15hr 65rbi 100runs 50sbs with his upside probably at .300 20hr 75rbis 115runs for the upcoming season.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby TB13 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:55 pm

To me, he is a defitinte top-24 players. 2nd rounder. I think that he power spike was an utter fluke. Solid 2nd rounder, but I would not pass on a Manny for him.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djack909 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:32 pm

It amazes me that Crawford is picked so high, an outfielder with middle infielder stats. I let my middle infielders steal bases. I expect my outfeilders to provide the other 4 offensive cats. I win at least 1/2 of my leagues but have never won the SB cat.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby ravenmad22 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:27 pm

djack909 wrote:It amazes me that Crawford is picked so high, an outfielder with middle infielder stats. I let my middle infielders steal bases. I expect my outfeilders to provide the other 4 offensive cats. I win at least 1/2 of my leagues but have never won the SB cat.

Name a middle infielder with a legit chance at stealing 70 bases with 20 HR....

That's right, there aren't any. See I draft crawford for the outfield then draft power hitting Middle infielders, thereby bucking the trend that you subscribe to. Then I don't have the Jimmy Rollins' of the world on my team, I have Juan Uribe, who I got 14 rounds after the "speedy middle infielder".

Picking Crawford and getting power hitting Mid Infielders is like Zigging when you Zag.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers