Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Ichiro hit .400?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can Ichiro hit .400?

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:07 am

Ichiro is tearing it up again this spring, hitting a blistering .500.

So I pose the question: Can Ichiro hit the elusive .400?

Why not? In the last decade I've never thought anyone would be able to hit .400, but I think if anyone can do it, that it will be Ichiro.

With his "slap" style swing, he puts a ton of balls in play. Where I see him having the edge, however, is with his speed. John Olerud was pushing towards .400, ('92?) but he never was able to leg out any infield hits since he was one of the slowest in the game.

All players go through slumps of some sort, but Ichiro may be able to get through the season without any prolonged slump since even when playing poorly, as long as he keeps the ball on the ground and puts it in play, he has a chance for a hit.

May sound ridiculous at first, but why not? :-?

Thoughts?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tokugawa » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:13 am

If any player can do it Ichiro can. He batted well above .400 for large stretches last year. Pressure isn't a problem for this guy, he has already proved himself with the weight of the Japanese nation on his shoulders when he became the first Japanese all-star outfielder to jump to the majors. He has an incredible work ethic and being surrounded by better players (Beltre and Sexson) should also help him.

I would love to see him do it!
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:16 am

Poker Playa, did you just finish watching SportsCenter? If so, I say Fiction. .400 ain't happenin'. .330, maybe.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:17 am

MashinSpuds wrote:Poker Playa, did you just finish watching SportsCenter? If so, I say Fiction. .400 ain't happenin'. .330, maybe.

No, I didn't. Just something I've been thinking about since I traded Ichiro and Clement for Bonds and Hudson. :-o
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:20 am

pokerplaya wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:Poker Playa, did you just finish watching SportsCenter? If so, I say Fiction. .400 ain't happenin'. .330, maybe.

No, I didn't. Just something I've been thinking about since I traded Ichiro and Clement for Bonds and Hudson. :-o

Huh, that's funny. SportsCenter did a Fact or Fiction with that exact same question, so that's why I thought you watched it. Kruk and Reynolds don't think he'll do it, but he's still a great hitter. If Bonds comes back mid- or end-May, that's not a bad deal for you. Hudson is more dependable than Clement...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 am

I don't think so. He just does not walk enough. For him to hit 400, with the same number of abs, he needs to get 20 more hits. Considering that would be a 10% increase, it is unlikely. If he can draw another 25-30 walks, he would have a great shot at it, but it is unrealistic to expect him to better his hit total from last year, especially by the margin needed.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -12)

Postby TheMeXiKaN » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:24 am

I tell you what, I have a feeling about Ichiro this year. I took him 1st round (6th overall) in a 10X10 leaue that counts H and TB and Ks. Hell absolutely load up those categories and he never striks out!

Anyway, the trend seems to be that Japenese players improve every year as they adjust to the Bigs. They seem to have an edge over their peers when it comes to work ethic, which explains why theyre becoming the most consistant players in the league
(Ichiro, H Matsui, Otsuka)

As for .400, lets just say Ichiros ceiling is sky-high.
- - - - - - - - - There Is No Spoon - - - - - - - - -
TheMeXiKaN
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Can Ichiro hit .400?

Postby Conner » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 am

pokerplaya wrote:Ichiro is tearing it up again this spring, hitting a blistering .500.

Coco Crisp, Tony Womack, Aaron Rowand, Angel Berroa, Nomar Garciaparra, Placido Polanco, Pedro Feliz, Ichiro Suzuki and Michael Young are all batting over .400 this spring. Ichiro is batting just 10 points higher than Aaron Rowand.

It's not likely that any of them will hit .400 this season.

Ichiro hit .321 in 2002, .312 in 2003 and .315 in the first half of 2004....Just figured I'd mention that. Everyone seems to have incredibly short memory spans....
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby nikku88 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:33 am

I dont think anyone can do it again, but if I had to choose 1 person who would be most likely, I would choose him.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Re: Can Ichiro hit .400?

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:35 am

Conner wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Ichiro is tearing it up again this spring, hitting a blistering .500.

Coco Crisp, Tony Womack, Aaron Rowand, Angel Berroa, Nomar Garciaparra, Placido Polanco, Pedro Feliz, Ichiro Suzuki and Michael Young are all batting over .400 this spring. Ichiro is batting just 10 points higher than Aaron Rowand.

It's not likely that any of them will hit .400 this season.

Ichiro hit .321 in 2002, .312 in 2003 and .315 in the first half of 2004....Just figured I'd mention that. Everyone seems to have incredibly short memory spans....

Batting .321, .312, .315 over the course of your career puts you in the hall. It puts you in the top 10 in batting. It solidfies you as one of the games best hitters -not to mention his .350 and .372 seasons. Batting .310-.320 doesn't help your argument, IMO, it hurts it. Just proves he is a consistently great hitter.

He has as much talent as anyone, and I think if anyone can really make a push for .400 it would be Ichiro. More likely than not, it will not occur, but if it was to occur my money would be on Ichiro doing it. Conner, I'm not saying he will do it - but I like his chances a heck of a lot more than anyone I've seen in a VERY long time.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers