Conservative
3%
Moderate
52%
Agressive
45%

Total votes : 29

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:29 pm

I think the best strategy is Flexibility. If there's a guy you really like and think he'll be the best player this year you have to reach to get them. If there's a guy who's injury prone but talented but you don't like him for some reason then you skip them. The best risk tolerance strategy is player by player, and not an overly general Conservative or Aggressive .
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:30 pm

so0perspam wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:If anyone is willing to help me with this I would like to get a large sample of maybe 30 league and actually have the owner provide insite through out the whole season and at the end of the season show the results for each league.

Sure, why not.

Great. Once I get some guys to volunteer I will be sending out a questionaire. It will have questions related to your most serious auction league.

Some of the things I will need to know how you prepare for the offseason and the draft. Sources, etc...Also questions regarding your strategie and any changes you had to make(I call them draft audibles) during the draft if you don't feel it was going your way. Also did you have an in season strategy as well and what were the highs and lows behind it.

Just some stupid info like that. I then want to comprise all this info with 30 league owners from 30 leagues trying to establish trends etc...
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:35 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:I think the best strategy is Flexibility. If there's a guy you really like and think he'll be the best player this year you have to reach to get them. If there's a guy who's injury prone but talented but you don't like him for some reason then you skip them. The best risk tolerance strategy is player by player, and not an overly general Conservative or Aggressive .

While I agree with you I am more interested in knowing what your portfolio looks like? That will tell us what kind of tolerence you have. If you fill your team with high risk and high reward then you are agressive, low risk low reward you are conservative, and if it is a mix then you re moderate. You may look at each player by themselves but when you are done drafting so you say that you have a nice mix or does it way to one side?

I have one owner in my league I know each year he will draft a conservative team. He never wins the league but will always place in the 3rd-5th place of 13 teams but never has won it in 15 years. I also think the worst finish was maybe 6th. How bad would that suck to always finish in the op half but never win it.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:08 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:I think the best strategy is Flexibility. If there's a guy you really like and think he'll be the best player this year you have to reach to get them. If there's a guy who's injury prone but talented but you don't like him for some reason then you skip them. The best risk tolerance strategy is player by player, and not an overly general Conservative or Aggressive .

While I agree with you I am more interested in knowing what your portfolio looks like? That will tell us what kind of tolerence you have. If you fill your team with high risk and high reward then you are agressive, low risk low reward you are conservative, and if it is a mix then you re moderate. You may look at each player by themselves but when you are done drafting so you say that you have a nice mix or does it way to one side?

I have one owner in my league I know each year he will draft a conservative team. He never wins the league but will always place in the 3rd-5th place of 13 teams but never has won it in 15 years. I also think the worst finish was maybe 6th. How bad would that suck to always finish in the op half but never win it.

Well it not only changes season to season, but really draft to draft. Whether or not I reach for my players have as much to do with draft dynamics of how my opponents are drafting, if I know their tendencies beforehand, what I think their and my team's weaknesses and strengths will be after the draft and during the season, whether I think the other owners will reach for my players or other players, etc.

I don't know if you play poker at all, but fantasy sports and poker are very similar. You have to stay a step ahead of the competition. If your opponents like to bluff alot, then being Conservative is the way to go. If your opponents are conservative then you should be more Aggressive. That's what I mean by flexibility. It's like if I'm playing against a certain table of opponents my playing style will vary hand to hand to such a degree that it would be useless to talk about style out of the context of my opponents. It's like asking great poker players if you should be Aggressive or Passive. It depends on the situation.

The majority of the time I'm moderate, with a mix of sexy picks and blue collars. But if the situation dictates I'll reach or pull back.

Besides, most fantasy players, especially pitchers, carry risk with them anyways. What one person sees as a big risk may not be a big risk at all to another.
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby jazzfunk2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:58 pm

The defining question as it relates to one's fantasy playing behavior is, "Do you get more enjoyment out of plucking a star out of obscurity or winning due to the careful arranging of a squad according to the numbers?"
jazzfunk2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DK » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:04 am

I'm moderate-aggresive. I try to usually stay conservative within the first ten rounds or so of a draft, but after that I tend to draft more on upside rather than security.

Get the core, than try to find a spark.

When negotiating and WW searching, I'm usually more moderate. I'm a stern negotiator (most of the time) and I've made many a good trade in my day.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:06 am

jazzfunk2 wrote:The defining question as it relates to one's fantasy playing behavior is, "Do you get more enjoyment out of plucking a star out of obscurity or winning due to the careful arranging of a squad according to the numbers?"

Good point. But I have to tell you when you play in a league like mine where the pot is around 4-5K winning is all that matter to me :-o
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:11 am

It really depends on the player for me. There are certain players that I will gladly take a risk on, and there are others I won't touch. So I guess you could say I fall into the discerning-agressive archetype. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:36 am

Moderate/Aggressive. I don't like guys like Helton who have no upside. I'll gladly take Crawford over him because Crawford's potential is a LOT higher than Helton's. Playing it safe will guarantee you 5th place. I'll take the risk that might make me win the league, or possibly make me finish in the bottom half. Guys like Beltran, Crawford, Reyes, O-Cab, etc. I guess the speedsters make up the majority of risk/reward picks.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers