Return to Baseball Leftovers

Super Studs or Damp Squibs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Super Studs or Damp Squibs?

Postby Gwyddbwyll » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:46 pm

Carlos Delgado and Shawn Green.

Two guys with a ton of talent, plenty of experience and who have had multiple monster seasons. Both were disappointing last year. Both are guys I normally avoid but have ended up with them on my team as I strictly held myself to my pre-draft rankings.

Whats not to like about Green? He's in a batting friendly park in Arizona, will hit in the middle of the order with Glaus, as a bonus he can play both 1B and OF, and he averages .314 in Bank One over 44 games, has more homers and sb's there than anywhere else (of road games). Surely he's a lock to do well.. at least reach 30 homers, 90 rbi at .305 ?

Delgado is harder to project.. what do you think of him? Obviously he'll be hitting with Miggy in a good team. But there's very little history in Pro Player to go on - only 6 games at a miserable .231 although he does have 2 homers. I guess it would be reasonable to project a BA of .275 with lots of homers and rbis. Maybe 40 and 110.
Gwyddbwyll
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Super Studs or Damp Squibs?

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:49 pm

Gwyddbwyll wrote:Whats not to like about Green?

Back to back years of crappy production is one thing not to like. I have zero confidence that he will suddenly be back to the old numbers.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:55 pm

I see Green hitting about .280 but his power numbers should improve over last year. He finished very strong and I expect things to continue.

Delgado however is going to experience a lot of problems switching to pitching friendly pro player.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Gwyddbwyll » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:42 am

Any more projections or predictions?
Gwyddbwyll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rlee » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:13 pm

When the Mets palyed the Marlins last week in a ST game, Cliff Floyd (who played for the Marlins) reportedly told Delgado that several balls that he hit for HRs in the past will die and hang up for outs.

I would lowers Delgado's HR projection by about 5-7
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Q » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:46 pm

projections from my site...

Delgado .282 35 102 87 0
Green .280 30 93 85 8