Return to Baseball Leftovers

BAL P coach just said that Ryan is the Closer.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Q » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:08 am

Lets look at Ryan vs Krod in the only three skill statistics that matter...

BJ Ryan: 122K 35BB 4HR in 87IP
KRod: 123K 32BB 2HR in 84IP

Those numbers are incredibly similar, I would say so close that the difference is insignificant. Lidge and Gagne were only slightly better in those categories and I believe I said "close to" that level. The only thing keeping me from taking him right after those three is his lack of experience.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daweasle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:33 am

nice reply Q - you made your point.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby RynMan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:11 am

Q wrote:Lets look at Ryan vs Krod in the only three skill statistics that matter...

BJ Ryan: 122K 35BB 4HR in 87IP
KRod: 123K 32BB 2HR in 84IP

Those numbers are incredibly similar, I would say so close that the difference is insignificant. Lidge and Gagne were only slightly better in those categories and I believe I said "close to" that level. The only thing keeping me from taking him right after those three is his lack of experience.

Interesting! :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 am

BJ will face a lot more righties this year. Pitching in the 7th/8th inning you don't face as many PH's and you can be brought in selectively when there a a couple lefties due up. As a closer, you face whoever's due up, and often righty PH's. And no, he wasn't that good against righties last year. A 1.48 WHIP is pretty bad for a reliever. Julio had a 1.32 WHIP vs righties but his K/BB was stil worse.

So yeah, it's Ryan's job, but don't think that he'll continue 2004's success or be remotely close to as good as Lidge/K-Rod. He'll face better hitters, more righties, and lets not forget last year was the first time he was any good in his 6 year career, and he's 30 years old.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:56 am

LBJackal wrote:BJ will face a lot more righties this year. Pitching in the 7th/8th inning you don't face as many PH's and you can be brought in selectively when there a a couple lefties due up. As a closer, you face whoever's due up, and often righty PH's. And no, he wasn't that good against righties last year. A 1.48 WHIP is pretty bad for a reliever. Julio had a 1.32 WHIP vs righties but his K/BB was stil worse.

So yeah, it's Ryan's job, but don't think that he'll continue 2004's success or be remotely close to as good as Lidge/K-Rod. He'll face better hitters, more righties, and lets not forget last year was the first time he was any good in his 6 year career, and he's 30 years old.

This is assuming BJ doesn't continue to follow his 3 year trend of course. There is nothing to indicate that he will regress. I don't put too much stock in pitcher's age. If he can keep his BB down, he will be just as good if not better.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:28 am

Well, this is comforting since I drafted him relatively early as my #2 closer.

:-°

Thanks for the update... ;-D
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers