Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your opinions on Erik Bedard and Jeff DaVanon, please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Your opinions on Erik Bedard and Jeff DaVanon, please.

Postby xeifrank » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:21 pm

xeifrank wrote:
Bobby Baseball wrote:Jeff DaVanon, it's been announced, will be the everyday DH and bat 2nd. Batting behind Vlad and the other Angel's sluggers, he could easily score 100+ runs, flirt with .300 and steal 20+.

Am I too high on these guys?

batting 2nd? Batting behind Vlad? and other Angel's sluggers? Don't you mean batting in front of, not behind? Or are you saying Vlad is hitting leadoff?

Also, do you have a link to the DaVanon being the everyday DH?

Thanks,

Xeifrank

Ok, let me answer part of my own question. From RotoWorld via the LA Times.

Manager Mike Scioscia has decided that Jeff DaVanon will start at DH on Opening Day and bat second in the Angels' lineup.
Darin Erstad will lead off and Chone Figgins, who was another option in the #2 spot, will bat ninth. ''Pitchers should come right at me, and I should see a lot of fastballs because there's a wrecking crew coming right after me,'' DaVanon said. ''Plus, if Ersty is on and stealing bases, I'll see more fastballs.''
Source: Los Angeles Times
Author of: http://MLBMockDraftSoftware.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://dodgerSims.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://TheSoberAngels.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://XeiOnSports.blogspot.com/
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your opinions on Erik Bedard and Jeff DaVanon, please.

Postby Bobby Baseball » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:25 pm

xeifrank wrote:
Bobby Baseball wrote:Jeff DaVanon, it's been announced, will be the everyday DH and bat 2nd. Batting behind Vlad and the other Angel's sluggers, he could easily score 100+ runs, flirt with .300 and steal 20+.

Am I too high on these guys?

batting 2nd? Batting behind Vlad? and other Angel's sluggers? Don't you mean batting in front of, not behind? Or are you saying Vlad is hitting leadoff?
Also, do you have a link to the DaVanon being the everyday DH?

Thanks,

Xeifrank

Duh, i meant to say batting in front of.

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:13 pm

so0perspam wrote:
Stello12 wrote:I'll argue that Bedard WILL post solid, albeit, not spectacular #'s, including WHIP. Last season was his first season back after a major injury. Yes, he struggled to regain his form and refine his mechanics. If you check his stats from his earlier years you'll find that he's not normally a pitcher who walks a lot of people. Last year was expected, however, it should be argued that he's back to his 'former self' where he'll post good numbers across the board.

What numbers are you looking at?

WHIP in 2002: 3.00
Injured entirety of 2003
WHIP in 2004: 1.60

"Former self"? :-?

those stats really aren't a fair judgement on him. The 2002 stats that you used was all of 0.2 IP, you can't get much smaller of a sample size. 2004 was his first full year off of Tommy John surgery AND he was a rookie. To be fair, he probably should have spent much of the year in the minors. He wore down considerably in the second half and wasn't nearly as effective. He has great stuff and was once a highly regarded prospect. He should improve this year and probably be a very servicable starter in deep leagues.

DaVanon is intriguing, but is there any possibility that Quinlan could force a DH platoon once McPherson comes back? Other than that risk, DaVanon is a very nice player and has great on base skills. He could be awesome if the job was indeed his full time.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 pm

Yes, I'm afraid Davanon may lose time to Quinlan, Kotchman, and Figgins, once Kennedy and/or McPherson return.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers