Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your opinions on Erik Bedard and Jeff DaVanon, please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your opinions on Erik Bedard and Jeff DaVanon, please.

Postby Bobby Baseball » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:41 pm

I think Bedard is starting to emerge as a nice value pick. He's having an excellent spring and with that O's offense, he could post a good win total (14?), be strong in K's (150+) and respectable era and whip totals.

Jeff DaVanon, it's been announced, will be the everyday DH and bat 2nd. Batting behind Vlad and the other Angel's sluggers, he could easily score 100+ runs, flirt with .300 and steal 20+.

Am I too high on these guys?

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

HOPING 4 A HOT START 4 DAVANON

Postby coleminer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:52 pm

I'm not convinced on Bedard yet, but I am getting ready to pick-up DaVanon to assist while Berkman is on the DL.

Need to drop Jimenez (have Tejada, Vidro, Izturis, Polanco, Gaithright, Upton for MI's) or Milton or Padilla (have RJ, Clemens, Smoltz, L.Hernandez, J.Wright, Penny, Weaver, Webb, KKBrown, Piniero). Keeper league: 10 team, 5 x 5 roto, 23 active (1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, C, 5 OF, 2 DH, 9 P)
coleminer
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -9)

Postby so0perspam » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:54 pm

Bedard will not put up respectable ERA and WHIP totals like you said .... his ERA will be around 4.20 and the WHIP will hover around 1.50 still. The K's will be there yes, but the wins are also in question. I wouldn't want to pay much more than a last round pick or a WW pickup on a 1-category player.

DaVanon is an interesting player .... many possibilites. If he keeps his job throughout the season and does well, I'd project around .285, 85 runs, 14 HR, 70 RBI, and 30 steals.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby Bobby Baseball » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:55 pm

Gathwraight and Upton are in AAA, why not drop one of them?

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

GATHRIGHT/UPTON

Postby coleminer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:12 pm

Gathright is carried as a minor leaguer, Upton as a reserve from being a protected minor leaguer (he is also from Chesapeake, VA as is David Wright, but the C*******er owner that promised a fair trade to me last year didn't). Please no lecture on not letting real life feelings get in the get in the way of FB decisions. I only do this on 2-3 minor leaguers. (I did not get Cuddyer in the draft this year, because I fairly valuated him)
coleminer
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Stello12 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:41 pm

I'll argue that Bedard WILL post solid, albeit, not spectacular #'s, including WHIP. Last season was his first season back after a major injury. Yes, he struggled to regain his form and refine his mechanics. If you check his stats from his earlier years you'll find that he's not normally a pitcher who walks a lot of people. Last year was expected, however, it should be argued that he's back to his 'former self' where he'll post good numbers across the board.
Stello12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby so0perspam » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Stello12 wrote:I'll argue that Bedard WILL post solid, albeit, not spectacular #'s, including WHIP. Last season was his first season back after a major injury. Yes, he struggled to regain his form and refine his mechanics. If you check his stats from his earlier years you'll find that he's not normally a pitcher who walks a lot of people. Last year was expected, however, it should be argued that he's back to his 'former self' where he'll post good numbers across the board.

What numbers are you looking at?

WHIP in 2002: 3.00
Injured entirety of 2003
WHIP in 2004: 1.60

"Former self"? :-?
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby 2k4cubs » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:00 pm

Kotchman isn't getting AB's at DH against righties??
2k4cubs
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Re: Your opinions on Erik Bedard and Jeff DaVanon, please.

Postby xeifrank » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:17 pm

Bobby Baseball wrote:Jeff DaVanon, it's been announced, will be the everyday DH and bat 2nd. Batting behind Vlad and the other Angel's sluggers, he could easily score 100+ runs, flirt with .300 and steal 20+.

Am I too high on these guys?

batting 2nd? Batting behind Vlad? and other Angel's sluggers? Don't you mean batting in front of, not behind? Or are you saying Vlad is hitting leadoff?

Also, do you have a link to the DaVanon being the everyday DH?

Thanks,

Xeifrank
Author of: http://MLBMockDraftSoftware.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://dodgerSims.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://TheSoberAngels.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://XeiOnSports.blogspot.com/
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next