Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dotel vs. Kolb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:29 pm

2k4cubs wrote:It doesn't matter enough to you guys that Dotel blew 6 saves and had a 4.11 ERA after moving to Oakland, while Kolb is heading to Atlanta, where they have the best pitching coach in baseball and he'll get more opportunities than in Milwaukee?

It doesn't matter to me in the least. Yeah, those things are nice and all, but Dotel is the far superior choice. I also have Kolb being a big bust this year, and he will not be on any of my teams, that's for sure.

Dotel blew a lot of svaes because he was suscpetible to the long ball. He was dominant most of the time. If he can keep those fly balls in the park, look for some nasty numbers. Either way, he's a ton better than Kolb
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Armed and Hammered » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:29 pm

wrveres wrote:Kolb has no guarantee of having a job my June.
I have him as my "Bust of the Year"

Everything I see has him predicted for 30-40 saves. What makes you think he might lose his job by June? Seems a little far fetched to me, but that is why I am asking.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby pat1999 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:43 pm

kolb might end up this season with a few more saves but look for dotel to have a better whip and triple the amount of stirike outs...i think bothe their eras will be similar ...so if your league counts strikeouts i think its obvious who the better choice is
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -16)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:57 pm

Two reasons actually.

A) It is rare for groundball pitchers to succeed as closers.
Kolb is an exception to this point, but realize also that Kolb is pitching way over his head the last two years. Nothing in his 9 year minor league career suggested he would perform at this level. he was a waiver claim mid season by the Brewers in 2003, and got the job via inujries.

B) I am also not convinced a 37 year old Smoltz can return to give six plus innings every five nights, especially since he hasn't been stretched out like that for over 5 years, and he underwent 4 surgeries during that time too.

Cox will put Smoltz right back into his old roll, if necassary.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Viper8437 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:06 pm

dotel

cause hes on my team
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Correction: Kolb was picked up after bieng released by the Rangers in April '03 :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:43 pm

i would go dotel too, just for the K's. however, i do think kolb will have a better era and give up a few less long balls. but that doesn't compensate for the huge difference in strikeouts.. ;-D
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:53 pm

i am not too worried about dotel's era spike in oakland. his peripheral numbers in oakland were similar to those in houston suggesting his era increase was more due to other factors than simply pitching poorly.

another thing not previously mentioned is that closers in oakland tend to have higher win totals than other closers due to the way they are handled (brought in to tie games and such).

i would prefer to have dotel although i still think kolb will be decent.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:56 pm

wrveres wrote:Correction: Kolb was picked up after bieng released by the Rangers in April '03 :-o

to be fair, kolb battled injuries for most of his early career. his success in brew town had a lot to do with simply being healthy.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:04 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
wrveres wrote:Correction: Kolb was picked up after bieng released by the Rangers in April '03 :-o

to be fair, kolb battled injuries for most of his early career. his success in brew town had a lot to do with simply being healthy.

fair.
Of course thats another reason to avoid Kolb.

Also, Dotel will be called upon to pitch in the 8th and the 9th, giving him an even greater advanatge.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers