Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Rios or Craig Monroe???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Rios or Craig Monroe???

Postby flyguys20 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:27 pm

I think both of these guys could be cheap options who produce strong numbers this year. Any thoughts on which will have the better stats??
Charlie "Old Hoss" Radbourn Statistics, 1884:

59-12, 1.34 ERA 75 G, 73 CG, 11 SHO, 678 2/3 IP, 441 K
flyguys20
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:33 pm

Monroe...

And can someone explain to me the Rios hype? Man had 1 HR in 426 ABs last season with only 15 Sbs, a 720 OPS and .338 OBP...what is the big deal?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:42 pm

What he said. I don't get the Rios hype either. Really, what is his ceiling for this season, and OF version of Junior Spivey?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:10 pm

I think it somewhat depends on what you want. Monroe will give you more power right now (hr/rbi), while Rios will get you better stats in the other cat's ... especially SB's.

Why is there Rios hype? I was unaware he had a lot of hype honestly. Most everything I hear from people is he will be good with time, which is what I've thought. Rios was rushed last year and still managed to hit for a very good average, also it's known he has very good speed and can steal bases. Now on the power, he was never trying to hit HR's last year. He was trying to just stay up in the majors and produce for the team, also he is a kid that needed to put on weight ... as he was pretty thin. His swing is more of a line drive swing, but with added muscle I see him developing into a 20/20 guy with .300 avg.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby 2k4cubs » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:27 pm

Rios is a kid that has been projected to have "Sexson type power" down the road. I think that is at least a few years away though. For this year, I'd take Monroe as I think he'll put up better numbers in Detroit's lineup; Toronto's lineup is awfully weak.
2k4cubs
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Lime » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:43 pm

Rios put on a ton of muscle over the winter and it's showing in ST. He's been clobbering the ball. He only has 2 homers to show for it but he's been hitting a bunch either just foul or at the warning track.

Look at his 2003 AA stats and you'll see that he has a ceiling (he won Eastern League MVP). He will be a player one day, it's just a matter of when, and I believe it could be this year.

And for those who have base stealing fetishes, Rios stole 15 bags (with only 3 CS) in only 111 games last year with a Jays team that had a no-stealing policy. Think of how he'll do this year in a full season on a Jays team that's suddenly more lenient to stealing.

Rios >>>>>>>>>>> Monroe. For 2005 and forever. ;-D
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -19)

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:46 pm

i saw monroe for the short term (this fantasy year) unless you've got the need for speed... rios will steal you a good amt of bases. and if your league counts assists, DEFINITELY go with rios, as he's got a great arm in the OF. monroe will have more hr's and rbis this year though.
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lime » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:35 pm

I wouldn't be so sure of Monroe racking up the ribbies. Where does he expect to hit in such a deep Tigers lineup? Also consider the guys that will be threatening to take away some of his playing time, like Higginson and Thames.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -19)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:02 pm

Lime wrote:I wouldn't be so sure of Monroe racking up the ribbies. Where does he expect to hit in such a deep Tigers lineup? Also consider the guys that will be threatening to take away some of his playing time, like Higginson and Thames.
True, he won't be hitting high in the lineup and that will somewhat limit his RBI opportunities, but Higginson and Thames will have no impact on his playing time. I see him as hitting 7th, although 6th isn't out of the question either. If anyone takes time from him, it would be the backup CF, whether it be Nook Logan or Dewayne Wise and in those cases, I expect to see Monroe stick more often than not in LF while the aging, oft-injured Rondell White gets a breather.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby baseballboy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:36 pm

unless Monroe keeps hitting the cover off the ball, he will loss playing time to the glut of others - he's a low risk / medium reward at best - I have to pass on him though
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers