Return to Baseball Leftovers

Typical 10x10 Catagories?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:48 pm

I've been in the same 10x10, H2H league for four years and can assure you there's nothing 'typical' in the categories. The commish keeps altering 2 or 3 of them each season.

It's entertaining enough once play begins, but mind-boggling to set up your draft sheets. I've arrived at a strategy of simply weighting hitters toward OBP and pitchers toward K/BB (and WHIP), and not sweating the little stuff. It's worked out so far.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:47 pm

typical 10x10...
don't you run out of stats at some point and have you use something like percentage of right hand hitters, total player weight, total player height etc?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby lesgrant » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:27 pm

Besides, you can't fit all those categories on Stat Tracker anyway.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:28 pm

matmat wrote:typical 10x10...
don't you run out of stats at some point and have you use something like percentage of right hand hitters, total player weight, total player height etc?

yes. there are no more than 5 legitimate hitting or pitching statistics tracked or calculable by tracked statistics in all of baseball. you must use total player weight.

there is a good argument for weighting the categories slightly differently, but on the whole, it allows you to better craft the real player value. any measuring system will be flawed, but it's asinine to say that the 5x5 is the best you can do in measuring a player's true value (it over-rewards for being on a high run-producing team for one thing and doesn't factor in defensive acumen in at all... the prized players are those who just qualify for positions who no major league team would really start them in).

so yes, total player weight. that's all that's left.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby swyck » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:53 pm

I think it depends on how much you like baseball stats.

Do you ever look at stats to check on who's leading the league in doubles or triples, or dont you care, or do you say that's already counted in slg, avg, and ops? If yes then 10x10 makes plenty of sense. If not, then its not your thing, you wouldn't understand anyway, so there's no point in it.

H, D, T, HR, R, RBI, AVG, SB, OPS, K

Thats a list of 10 hitting stats that include most of the typical categories that can be found in the paper. That's without digging down very far into the available stats. I agree that OPS and AVG is a little redundant, but IMO AVG is a 'classic' stat and should be included as a must have baseball stat. Instead of OPS, OBP and SLG could be used, which is a bit more mainstream, but I've come to like OPS. I also like the use K as a negative stat.

W, L, S, ERA, K, WHIP, HR, CG, SHO, HLD

Thats 10 for pitching again without moving far from classic stat categories. WHIP is not really classical, but again I like it as a good indicator on a pitchers effectiveness. CG and SHO are not really high number stats and dont have the usefulness they once did, but they are classic stats, and shouldnt have much real influence. I like the use of HR as a negative stat.

Its not that hard to find 20 stat categories in baseball that make for good fantasy stats IMO.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers