Return to Baseball Leftovers

A letter to the SF Chronicle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lesgrant » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:57 pm

Nice letter wrveres. Too bad it’s only about Bonds and the SF Chronicle. A lot of your gripes are my gripes with the NY Post. I think it’s all tied to the internet/cable TV boom. Too much competition for too little information. The result is soft reporting and editorializing. There was a piece in the Post few days back that was all about how Kevin Brown blew off reporters after a bad start he had after his wife gave birth. Maybe 10 percent of the words were about the actual start. The rest were about the reporter’s opinion of Brown’s attitude. It is getting ridiculous. I just wanted the score.

And (others) can we stop with the grammatical corrections? Flaunting your knowledge of proper verb tenses, spelling, etc. only demonstrates that you have nothing substantive to add to this debate. If you posted “blah blah blah – I just wanna post.” I’d have more respect for you.

But back to the heavy stuff:

While race is a factor here, I do not feel it is disproportionately so for Bonds. It seems as if it has greater magnitude because it’s put in the context of broader baseball history because Bonds is a historical figure – steroids aside. If one were to ask Coco Crisp about being an African American MLB player, I don’t think any comparisons to Hank Aaron’s difficulties would come up.

The race bating on the part of the media is merely baiting. We’ve all watched our fair share of live feeds on ESPN News or wherever. The fact is that most questions posed in that situation are leading questions. Bonds has had more than enough experience with the media to know better than taking the bait. If he can resist stuff like “How does it feel to let your team down?” when he strikes out in a key situation, he can lay off the racial questions. But, racial angle or not, I’m pretty tired of this form of “truth” manufacturing. It’s wrong all the way around.

I tend to cut Bonds some slack on his response to race issues. As a second generation MLB player, he’s been dealing with racism not just for his career but for much of his father’s career as well. I’m sure his father brought home any adversity he had to deal with when he was playing. I’m also sure that, as a father, he counseled Barry on the racial realities of MLB. So I’d imagine that Bonds would be more sensitive than the average African American MLB player regarding all issues of stardom. Furthermore, I’d guess that his views are shaped more by his father’s experiences than his. Just from a purely developmental psychological standpoint, that’d be true, let alone the fact that racism was way more prevalent in his father’s era than now.

That being said, the race issue has nothing to do with whether or not he used steroids. Those of you who are still defending him are painting yourselves into the smallest of corners if you are hanging your hats on the ‘SF Chronicle is out to get him’ notion. It seems to me that if one were trying to lie about something, you’d pick a lie that could never be verified as such. Lying about grand jury testimony in a printed paper is pretty far fetched. I’ve never heard of such. If anyone has examples of a reporter manufacturing grand jury testimony, please provide. The testimony is a matter of record which will probably become unsealed at some point. Moreover, as you’ll see from the Daily News link below, a Daily News reporter overheard a portion of that testimony as well.

Besides, there is other damning evidence against Bonds besides what a newspaper says he said under oath. I’m not sure how many of you are following the actual BALCO trial as opposed to the Bonds sideshow, but there was a pre-trial hearing last week regarding the suppression of evidence collected from Anderson’s house and BALCO offices. Evidence that came up included all written records of Anderson’s distribution – including a thick file for Barry Bonds detailing all of the supplements he received from Anderson. There were also statements made by Anderson and Conte to investigators at the scene admitting that they gave steroids to Bonds and other athletes. The only issue is whether or not Anderson and Conte were under arrest at the time and were read their rights, NOT whether they said they gave ‘roids to Bonds. This isn’t from some unnamed source, it’s a matter of public record from the 3/17/05 hearing. So don’t keep saying there is no evidence that Bonds received steroids. The people who supplied him admitted it. That's why they are all trying to cut deals.

Superficially, it seems like the SF Chronicle is to Bonds what Mark Furman (sp?) was to OJ Simpson. Was Furman a racist? Yes. Was he a liar? Yes. Did he plant evidence in the OJ case and in other cases? Probably. Was the evidence he came in contact with the only evidence against OJ? Not by a longshot. It’s the same for the Chronicle. There has been so much other stuff that’s leaked that is just as damning as an admission.

Last year around this time, when we didn’t know about the contents of the GJ testimony, the Bonds apologists said that we had no clue what he said, so don’t jump to conclusions. Now that it’s been leaked (and portions corroborated by another paper other than the SF Chronicle) they’ve retreated to ‘no named source’. And if I’m not mistaken, DK is now hung up on Clear vs. THE Clear. Amazing.

But back to the sleazy stuff. . ., it won’t be steroids that will do Bonds in, it’ll be tax evasion.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 9980c.html

“The source of the IRS' interest in the case might have been .kindled from another tidbit Bell reportedly told the grand jury: Bonds would often take cash in exchange for sports memorabilia sales, sometimes giving her large amounts, including $80,000 in 2001 for a down payment on a house in Scottsdale, Ariz., near the Giants' spring training facility. The government also subpoenaed Bell's bank records, correspondence with Bonds and about 90 minutes of voice mail messages that she said Bonds had left on her answering machine, according to the Chronicle.”

Or it could be perjury:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedit ... orts-print

But that’s probably a longshot.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A letter to the SF Chronicle

Postby tweak420 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:58 pm

I really don't see any problem with the SF Chronicle. They did no wrong. Every media outlet always twists the news and manipulates the facts, if they didn't, why would we need freedom of the press and what would sell?

As for them making money off him... well Barry, in turn, is making money off them.

Although I almost feel bad for him, I think it's pathetic that he cites the media for ending his season, or half of it. As Samuel Johnson said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel," and it seems that today that the new refuge is blaming the media.

The reason I don't feel bad for him is because he said he doesn't care about records, so what does it matter if he retires? He has 200 million to take care of his family with, plus those fans who have always loved him. It makes sense to sit out a season, see what happens with the steroids, and decide if it is safe to return. I wouldn't blame anyone but Barry for his decision.

Maybe he is quiting so that drug test doesn't catch up with him, after all he can't pay $10,000 to get out of it this time ;-).
tweak420
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kentx12 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:09 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:I don't believe him wrveres because you told me that the Chronicle is evil and anyone working for them has zero credibility, or is that only when it doesn't support your argument?

That is hillarious. You have been bashing that paper as long as i can remember and now you are giving us a post to prove your point. That is just crazy. Are they accurate in what they report or is it garbage like you have been telling us?
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:01 pm

lesgrant wrote:Nice letter wrveres. Too bad it’s only about Bonds and the SF Chronicle. A lot of your gripes are my gripes with the NY Post. I think it’s all tied to the internet/cable TV boom. Too much competition for too little information. The result is soft reporting and editorializing. There was a piece in the Post few days back that was all about how Kevin Brown blew off reporters after a bad start he had after his wife gave birth. Maybe 10 percent of the words were about the actual start. The rest were about the reporter’s opinion of Brown’s attitude. It is getting ridiculous. I just wanted the score.

And (others) can we stop with the grammatical corrections? Flaunting your knowledge of proper verb tenses, spelling, etc. only demonstrates that you have nothing substantive to add to this debate. If you posted “blah blah blah – I just wanna post.” I’d have more respect for you.

But back to the heavy stuff:

While race is a factor here, I do not feel it is disproportionately so for Bonds. It seems as if it has greater magnitude because it’s put in the context of broader baseball history because Bonds is a historical figure – steroids aside. If one were to ask Coco Crisp about being an African American MLB player, I don’t think any comparisons to Hank Aaron’s difficulties would come up.

The race bating on the part of the media is merely baiting. We’ve all watched our fair share of live feeds on ESPN News or wherever. The fact is that most questions posed in that situation are leading questions. Bonds has had more than enough experience with the media to know better than taking the bait. If he can resist stuff like “How does it feel to let your team down?” when he strikes out in a key situation, he can lay off the racial questions. But, racial angle or not, I’m pretty tired of this form of “truth” manufacturing. It’s wrong all the way around.

I tend to cut Bonds some slack on his response to race issues. As a second generation MLB player, he’s been dealing with racism not just for his career but for much of his father’s career as well. I’m sure his father brought home any adversity he had to deal with when he was playing. I’m also sure that, as a father, he counseled Barry on the racial realities of MLB. So I’d imagine that Bonds would be more sensitive than the average African American MLB player regarding all issues of stardom. Furthermore, I’d guess that his views are shaped more by his father’s experiences than his. Just from a purely developmental psychological standpoint, that’d be true, let alone the fact that racism was way more prevalent in his father’s era than now.

That being said, the race issue has nothing to do with whether or not he used steroids. Those of you who are still defending him are painting yourselves into the smallest of corners if you are hanging your hats on the ‘SF Chronicle is out to get him’ notion. It seems to me that if one were trying to lie about something, you’d pick a lie that could never be verified as such. Lying about grand jury testimony in a printed paper is pretty far fetched. I’ve never heard of such. If anyone has examples of a reporter manufacturing grand jury testimony, please provide. The testimony is a matter of record which will probably become unsealed at some point. Moreover, as you’ll see from the Daily News link below, a Daily News reporter overheard a portion of that testimony as well.

Besides, there is other damning evidence against Bonds besides what a newspaper says he said under oath. I’m not sure how many of you are following the actual BALCO trial as opposed to the Bonds sideshow, but there was a pre-trial hearing last week regarding the suppression of evidence collected from Anderson’s house and BALCO offices. Evidence that came up included all written records of Anderson’s distribution – including a thick file for Barry Bonds detailing all of the supplements he received from Anderson. There were also statements made by Anderson and Conte to investigators at the scene admitting that they gave steroids to Bonds and other athletes. The only issue is whether or not Anderson and Conte were under arrest at the time and were read their rights, NOT whether they said they gave ‘roids to Bonds. This isn’t from some unnamed source, it’s a matter of public record from the 3/17/05 hearing. So don’t keep saying there is no evidence that Bonds received steroids. The people who supplied him admitted it. That's why they are all trying to cut deals.

Superficially, it seems like the SF Chronicle is to Bonds what Mark Furman (sp?) was to OJ Simpson. Was Furman a racist? Yes. Was he a liar? Yes. Did he plant evidence in the OJ case and in other cases? Probably. Was the evidence he came in contact with the only evidence against OJ? Not by a longshot. It’s the same for the Chronicle. There has been so much other stuff that’s leaked that is just as damning as an admission.

Last year around this time, when we didn’t know about the contents of the GJ testimony, the Bonds apologists said that we had no clue what he said, so don’t jump to conclusions. Now that it’s been leaked (and portions corroborated by another paper other than the SF Chronicle) they’ve retreated to ‘no named source’. And if I’m not mistaken, DK is now hung up on Clear vs. THE Clear. Amazing.

But back to the sleazy stuff. . ., it won’t be steroids that will do Bonds in, it’ll be tax evasion.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 9980c.html

“The source of the IRS' interest in the case might have been .kindled from another tidbit Bell reportedly told the grand jury: Bonds would often take cash in exchange for sports memorabilia sales, sometimes giving her large amounts, including $80,000 in 2001 for a down payment on a house in Scottsdale, Ariz., near the Giants' spring training facility. The government also subpoenaed Bell's bank records, correspondence with Bonds and about 90 minutes of voice mail messages that she said Bonds had left on her answering machine, according to the Chronicle.”

Or it could be perjury:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedit ... orts-print

But that’s probably a longshot.

Well said and put together piece. And I totally agree alot of the feelings Bonds has regarding racism come from when he was a kid and Bobby was playing in MLB. The game has changed alot since then and Barry has made a ton of money off these 'Racists'.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:07 pm

Lesgrant.......I like most of what you wrote and you bring up a point that I wanted to mention before about the O.J. trial. I don't know the Chronicle but they are apparently really biased. I don't put it past them to expand on some facts. Just like Fuhrman. He was obviously biased. He was obviously racist. He obviously messed with evidence. All of those things are true but the fact remains. None of this means that O.J. is necessarily innocent. The same for Bonds. Just because people might be out to get him and just because some reporters might be a little overzealous in their reporting of their findings, that doesn't mean that they're lying. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers