Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I like my team ... pitching anyway

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I like my team ... pitching anyway

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:37 pm

How does this look? Thinking of dropping a closer, probably Affeldt, for Cuddyer who has 1B,2B,3B and OF eligibility as cover. Who should I drop?

Send me a link to your team and I will rate it.
Thanks

Yahoo 12 team HTH

C - JD Closser
1B - T Hafner
2B - L Castillo
SS - K Matsui
3B - A. Beltre
OF - H Matsui
OF - A Kearns
OF - L Walker
UTL - T Glaus
Bn - J Giambi

SP - R Johnson
SP - M Mulder
RP - G Aquino
RP - B Wickman
RP - J Borowski
P - C Pavano
P - J Peavy
P - O Perez
Bn - J Affeldt
Bn - D Willis
Bn - J Pinero

Scoring: Ave, R, HR, RBI, SB, W, S, K, ERA, WHIP
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:47 pm

Cuddyer would be a nice addition, but I wouldn't drop Affeldt for him. What I would do is try and trade two of your bottom of the line closers for one mid-tier closer (someone like Mota, Looper or Kolb), which would open up a roster spot for you.

The other concern I have is Closser at C. I think he is a great sleeper for this year, but I wouldn't be confident about having him as my starting catcher, especially when he's not playing at Coors.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too sure about Closser either but the only catchers available are Buck, Liebenthal and Barret. I like the potential that Closser offers. I don't see Barret doing what he did last year, Liebenthal had a bad year and has peaked and Buck perhaps is as much of an unknown as Closser.

As for the closers, I'm hoping each of those guys can pick up 20+, having three gives me cover if one gets injured, but if I can get what looks like a guaranteed 40+, for two of the guys I will pull the trigger.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris8 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:20 pm

If you can open up a roster spot, pick up Lieberthal. I think last year was a blip, and he will recover this year.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby sfgfan4life » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Very solid pitching. But as has been mentioned, you could use a more dominant closer. (And I wouldn't drop Affedlt either)

Overall I think your team is a bit risky. You could end up getting rewarded, but I don't normally like to take that many players with question marks. Guys like Glaus, Kearns, and Walker are injury risks. I still consider Beltre a bit of a risk after having such a good year in a contract year (thats a bit more of a personal thing though). Giambi is a risk with everythign going on (althgough reports from ST have sounded promising). I like Closser as a possible sleeper, but it's a bit risky having him as your only catcher. So I think you could end up doing well, but I think you should have gone with a few more sure-thing types.

Think you could take a look at my team?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104324
sfgfan4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tokugawa » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:42 pm

If not Affeldt then who should I drop for Cuddyer? I was planning on hanging on to Wickman and Borowski b/c they play for better teams and therefore will have more save opportunities, of course assuming they stay healthy, but that is not a given with Affeldt either. Aquino seems to have a lot of potential and perhaps isn't as injury prone as Affeldt. That is why I was planning on dropping him.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby seniorpaul » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:47 pm

Your offense has a lot of question marks on it. How will Closser perform? Can Kaz handle the switch to 2nd? Was Beltre a one year wonder? Can Kearns and Glaus stay healthy? Giambi is just one big question mark.

Your pitching on the other hand is great.

If you get a chance...
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104459
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: I like my team ... pitching anyway

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:52 pm

The first thing that pops out to me is the injury risk of Kearns, Walker and Glaus. And Giambi, well you know. Seriously, I'd aim to get healthier. Wickman can be dependable when healthy. If Borowski's velocity is back up, these two will get you good holds. Also, not sure where the SB's will be coming from, unless they turn Castillo loose this year.

I don't mean to be pessimistic. I think, if healthy, this team will be competitive.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 032#785032
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Re: I like my team ... pitching anyway

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:02 pm

nettles3Ball-star wrote:The first thing that pops out to me is the injury risk of Kearns, Walker and Glaus. And Giambi, well you know. Seriously, I'd aim to get healthier. Wickman can be dependable when healthy. If Borowski's velocity is back up, these two will get you good holds. Also, not sure where the SB's will be coming from, unless they turn Castillo loose this year.

I don't mean to be pessimistic. I think, if healthy, this team will be competitive.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 032#785032
I agree good team, but I think you may have some major helath issues
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Gizmo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Agree with the above posts.

Think Closser's going to break out in a big way and could be posting huge numbers after the all star break.

Cuddyer would be a good pick up. Gives you a real all round back up.
Gizmo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team